How To Survive and Thrive After A Break-up, Broken Heart Poems and Broken Heart Quotes
Surviving and Getting Over A Break-up
The break-up of a relationship is a difficult event that all of us go through at one point or other in this journey of life. It is like living through hell on earth and impacts us on so many levels. Initially it arouses a variety of negative emotions in us like loss of self-confidence, self-loathing, guilt, bitterness, anguish and anger. However, eventually it can get us to a better a place and into a more loving relationship. So even though it may seem impossible right now you will recover from your break-up and find love again. This lens shows you how to get over and survive a break-up and contains broken heart quotes and break-up poems to help you through healing your broken heart.
Image Courtesy of: Leo Nordwall, Wikimedia.
10 Ways to Get Over and Survive A Break-up
Tips on How to Get Over Your Ex
These measures may sound tough to implement but they will help you get over your break-up so give them a try.
1. Cut off all contact with your ex until you are sure that you are over them. Start by getting rid of all their contact information like email addresses, phone numbers, Facebook and Twitter profiles. Ask a friend or family member to support you in not contacting your ex. Whenever you are tempted to call your ex, call your support buddy instead. Also change your contact information if necessary and do not provide your new contacts to your ex.
2. Get rid of reminders of your ex such as gifts, photographs and mementos. Donate them to charity, or throw them away. If you can't bring yourself to do that then put everything in a trunk and ask a friend or family member to store it for you until you are completely over your ex.
3. Stop re-telling your sad love story. Stop constantly thinking and talking about your ex and your former relationship. I know this is easier said than done but after the initial phase when you have told your friends your sob story make a commitment and effort to stop talking about it. When you go out on dates with new suitors, under no circumstance should you regale them with stories about your ex. Get your friends and family to interrupt you and change the topic whenever you start talking about your ex. Also request family members and friends to stop talking about him/her. Whenever you find yourself brooding and thinking about your ex find something else to do.
4. Do not frequent your old hangouts. Stop going to places where you and your ex used to hang out. Do not stalk your ex, do not drive by their house, gym or places where they like to go. Find new places to socialize and hard as it may be avoid running into your ex which is best done by avoiding their hang-out spots. Move towns if you have to.
5. Make a list of all the bad qualities that your ex has and the undesirable relationship qualities that they have. Pull out your "Bad List" and read over it every time that you start thinking positive thoughts of your ex or what a great relationship you had and how perfect he/she was for you. If you do this enough times, you will soon see how wrong they were for you and you will be thanking your lucky stars that he/she is gone ;-)
6. Break-ups damage your self-esteem and make you feel rotten about yourself so start taking measures to get your self-confidence back. First and foremost, STOP BLAMING YOURSELF for the break-up. There is nothing wrong with you. Some relationships are meant forever and others aren't so let it be. Accept the break-up without blaming yourself or your ex.
7. You can use positive affirmations to regain your self-confidence after a break-up. Say things like, "I am a beautiful person and deserving of love." Or any other positive affirmation that comes to mind. Write a list of all of your good qualities, carry it around with you and look at it whenever you feel down. If you are having trouble developing a list of your good qualities ask your friends and family what qualities they admire in you.
8. Take Care of Yourself. I cannot stress this enough. Often when a loved one leaves us the first thing we do is stop taking care of ourselves. After all "Nothing really matters anymore," we say forlornly. However, letting ourselves go will just make us feel worse about ourselves. So stop and take a moment out to pamper and take care of yourself. Give yourself a treat, go to the spa, go on holiday, go out to dinner with some friends, do things that you enjoy. However, do it all within your budget and don't overcompensate by spending money you do not have. The idea is to spoil yourself and this does not have to cost you a lot of money. It simply entails setting time aside to do something that you love or something good for yourself. Exercise and eat right and don't let yourself go just because your ex has gone :-).
9. You know the old saying: "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." So stay busy with positive activities. Find new hobbies or re-kindle old ones.
10. I saved this step for last for a very important reason, it should only be taken after you have healed. This final step entails finding a new love. Most of us seek love in the midst of healing or as part of healing, this is not a good idea and it rarely ever works. So heal first and find love last. Start by opening your heart and mind to the possibility of finding love again. Write a list of all the qualities that you seek in your perfect mate. Write down what your perfect relationship would be/ what it would look like. Then visualize and create an image of you in your ideal relationship with your ideal mate. In some cases it helps to actually get a photograph of a person who looks like your perfect mate and use this for your visualization exercises. Aside from visualizing you must also keep your heart and mind open to love.
I wish you all the best in your journey to healing your broken heart and finding love again. The following sections contain broken heart love quotes, two heartbreak poems and books to help you cope with break-ups and find love again.
Break-up Books and Relationship Books
Broken Heart Quotes
Ten Love Quotes about Heartbreak and the Loss of Love
1. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing. - Anais Nin
2. An act of love that fails is just as much a part of the divine life as an act of love that succeeds, for love is measured by fullness, not by reception. - Harold Loukes
3. Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. - Kahlil Gibran
4. The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost. - G. K. Chesterton
5. I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken - and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived. - Margaret Mitchell
6. Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. - Neil Gaiman
7. Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go. - Hermann Hesse
8. You will never know true happiness until you have truly loved, and you will never understand what pain really is until you have lost it. - Anonymous
9. If you love someone, let them go. If they return to you, it was meant to be. If they don't, their love was never yours to begin with. - Anonymous
10. The greatest tragedy of life is not that men perish, but that they cease to love. - W. Somerset Maugham
Healing Rain: Love Break-up Poem
A Love Break-up Poem and Sad Love Poem
By Injete Chesoni
I thought my tears would make you love me again,
I thought my tears would fall on the roots of our love
and nourish it like rain.
I thought my tears would pierce your heart,
and help us to make a brand new start.
I thought my tears would make you feel my anguish and pain,
and draw you back into my arms again.
I thought my tears would flow with yours
and create for us a pool of love.
I thought my tears were heavenly showers
with magical healing powers.
A trickling sent from the heavens above,
That would fill our hearts with joy and love.
So I cried when you left me
To ease my pain,
I cried when you left me
To bring you back into my arms again,
I cried when you left me,
Because I thought that tears were healing rain.
But I found out that sometimes they are not,
They are just tears and searing pain.
Healing Rain: Heartbreak Poems, Broken Heart Poems and Sad Love Poems By Injete Chesoni.
Image Courtesy of: Marco Bolognesi, Wikimedia.
I Know I Will Love Again: Inspirational Heartbreak Poem
An Inspirational Poem about Finding Love Again After a Break-up
When you left me
My heart shattered into a million little pieces,
My life crumbled under your feet.
As you walked out that door,
You took my soul with you,
Onto that old cobbled street.
At first I could not accept it,
There was no way that you were gone.
I played this song over and over,
Tomorrow he will come back home.
And tomorrow turned into a million yesterdays,
As my life slowly wilted away.
I became a drooping flower,
Thirsting every day.
But still I could find no water,
For my source it was only one.
And it dried up forever for me,
when your love became undone.
I thought I would die without you,
And I slowly counted the days,
When I would meet my savior,
In a loveless haze.
But the days turned into years,
And still I was on this earth,
Nobody came to save me,
From my loveless hearth.
Then one day I finally realized,
That you were never coming back again.
And as long as I kept hoping for you,
My heart would be in pain.
A broken heart shattered in pieces,
Can never love again.
So I opened up my door,
And I stepped gingerly onto that old street.
Walking down that path to love
So scary and yet oh so sweet.
I Know I Will Love Again: Heartbreak Poems, Broken Heart Poems and Inspirational Love Poems By Injete Chesoni.
Books about How to Find Love and Your Soulmate
Links to Broken Heart Poems, Love Poems and Broken Heart Love Quotes
- Famous Broken Heart Love Quotes
Broken Heart Quotes, famous love quotes, heartbreak quotes, love quotes, famous quotes, inspirational quotes and other quotes.
- Broken Heart Quotes and Verses from Heartbreak Poems and Songs
Heartbreak quotes, love quotes, quotes from Charlotte Bronte's, "Parting."
- Inspirational Love Break-up Poem
A love break-up poem by Gary Hess titled "Healing Heart". "Sadness comes to end, happiness conquered hate. Love sprouting -- sadness shrinking, hope has come again."
- Parting Poem by Charlotte Bronte
"There's no use in weeping,Though we are condemned to part: There's such a thing as keeping, A remembrance in one's heart..."
- Love Poems and Break-up Poems
Sad love poems, short love poems, break-up poems.
- A Short Sad Love Poem and Sad Love Quotes
Contains a short sad love poem and sad love quotes.