- Gender and Relationships»
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender
Christianity & Homosexuality.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.- John 3:16
The first thing I want to say in this hub is that I am not writing this to tell people what they should and should not believe. Peoples opinions are their own. I am just curious to see if anyone else thinks the way I do, because so far I haven't met a single person who does. Now usually I only write poetry and short stories in my hubs, but this morning I was moved to write something a little more political. I was browsing hub pages and I came across a hub regarding the Boy Scouts of America; In the interests of anonymity I'm not going to go into specifics, I will just say that it was largely a fair and positive hub regarding the BSA's history and activities.
There was just one small section regarding homosexual scout leaders, and in not-so-many words it basically theorised a correlation between gay scout leaders and child abuse, and spoke of the banning of openly gay scout leaders in a positive light. What shocked me about this, possibly more than the content itself, was that the comments (of which there were a large number) were pretty much all positive. There wasn't an outraged or offended comment in sight. I didn't leave a comment myself as being neither gay nor American, I'm sure I wouldn't be qualified to comment, and like old Abe said: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Another thing which came up in the Hub, was the churches involvement in the BSA. Obviously I was aware that it is a church funded and run organisation, but it seemed as though the mere fact that it is a religious organisation, makes the obvious discrimination okay- "Well, they're Christians, it's alright for them to be homophobic!" Honestly I don't know why that is, here in England, no organisation, religious or otherwise would be tolerated for discriminating against anyone. Infact in this country religion is frowned upon more than anything else! Even in England, or anywhere else in the world it seems, it is just understood that Christians are homophobic. The two seem to go hand in hand, like salt and pepper or milk and cookies!
I myself was raised in a Christian household, my father is religious, and homophobic, and he raised me to be the same. As a young girl, I wouldn't say I was homophobic, but I was ignorant. I believed what I'd been taught, and I had never met an openly gay person (knowingly anyway.) I had never needed to think for myself on the subject, so if someone had asked me what I thought of homosexuality I probably would have been a good little parrot and repeated what I had been told.
That was until I was about fourteen, when one of my best friends, whom I'd known and loved like a sister since I was eleven, came out to me. (At a Church summer camp we attended every year!) I didn't react the way I (or she) would have expected. It didn't phase me in the slightest. I had always been taught that homosexuality was an affliction, either mental or emotional. Like depression or PTSD. In other words, it could be overcome and "cured" with work. But I knew that there was nothing remotely wrong with my friend.
So I began to question what I had been taught, I spoke to every adult I knew (most of whom happened to be Christians) I read books, and I scoured the bible. Everything I read and everyone I spoke to gave me the same three answers, being gay was wrong because:
- 1. Sex cannot lead to reproduction.
- 2. It says so in the Bible.
- 3. It's not physiologically 'natural'
Now call me stubborn, but to me that just didn't seem like a good enough excuse for the alienation and discrimination of an entire community of people! So gradually, as I researched more, spent more time with gay people, and grew up, gaining life experience and maturity. I changed my opinion, on many things, not least of all the gay debate!
Now getting to the main point of this hub FINALLY! I am still a Christian, I love my lord & father and I believe unequivocally that Jesus Christ died and rose again to save me, having said that, I interpret the points above in a rather different way:
- 1. There are millions of heterosexual people in the world who have problems reproducing naturally, and who need to turn to egg and sperm donor-ship, in vitro fertilisation & adoption to conceive. Are we then saying that every single human in the world who has problems with their re-productive organs is somehow 'wrong' or 'un-natural?' I thought not!
- 2. Okay so it says in the bible that being gay is wrong does it? Well I'm sure I read somewhere that it actually says it is unclean, as it also does about a women who is menstruating, and that can't exactly be helped can it? But I'm sure there's plenty to be contradicted in that so What I will say on this issue is this; The bible was written thousands of years ago, in ancient Hebrew, by people! It is not omniscient, it was not penned down by God himself. It was written by men. Men (and I'm talking about humans, its not a sexist thing) lie, they exaggerate and twist things to suit their own ends, their own values and beliefs. For example, in John's gospel, every time he refers to himself, he calls himself; 'the one whom Jesus loved.' Did Jesus really only love John? I think not! Another reason I find it difficult to accept the Bible excuse, is that as I said, the Bible was written in ancient Hebrew, and translated into a multitude of ancient languages ever before it was translated into English. Around which time it is accepted that the church leaders lied to the general public (who largely could not read or write) about its contents for their own oppressive and financial gains. Who's to say that today's translation is anywhere near to what it ever said originally. The Bible has been used to justify mass murder, war, which hunting, anti-Semitism, torture, stoning and many other things which today we readily accept as wrong. So why can't we get there with homophobia?
- 3. Do I really need to explain why the third one is ridiculous? I do? Okay! The Church also opposes pre-marital sex, and as a young person I went to a number of church led "relationship talks" which concluded in no uncertain terms that anything more than kissing and holding hands was classed in the eyes of God as sex. This included oral sex, masturbation, fondling ect ect. But apparently Gay sex is not classed as 'natural' sex by the church, because their is no penetration? Come on? Contradicting much?
As I said at the beginning of this hub, I have not written this to try to change or judge anyone's beliefs. I simply wanted to see if there are any Christians out there who agree with my perspective. Also I wanted to have an opportunity to dispel the idea that ALL Christians are homophobic or against Gay people. Because there are definitely God loving people out there who are also Gay loving! Even if it is only me!
I want to thank you all, regardless of your own personal perspective, for taking the time to read this hub, I know it is long and you have much better things to do with your time!
I just want to leave you with a few things, which are not just my opinion, for you to mull over!
God Bless! :)
Matthew 7:1 " Judge not, that ye be not judged."
John 8:7 "When they persisted in asking Him, He stood up, and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."
John 6:40 "And this is the will of him who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have everlasting life."
A link to follow for more info...
- Watch 401 online | MovShare
Some real & well researched information about the BSA from two of my favourite comedians/magicians. WARNING: Contains adult content!