Dating a Serbian Man or Woman - Advice and What to Know
Here is some advice and what to know when you are interested in dating a Serb man or woman. This advice and these tips will help you understand the Serbian culture and people who come from it so you will be more culturally aware and can feel more comfortable in approaching a dating situation.
This article assumes that you want to date a first-generation Serbian-American, Serbian-Canadian, or someone who is 100% Serbian in their ethnicity. People who are half Serbian might have some of these traits if they are highly involved with their cultural background, but you will experience less restrictions and less culture shock when you date them.
Tips on Dating Serbian Men
- Serbians value modesty in women. The Serb culture is still quite traditional in its views on men and women. If you want to be a serious love interest for a Serbian man, it is best to wear simple, feminine clothing that leaves a little to the imagination. For example, a simple dress that comes to right above the knee and also covers cleavage is appropriate for a date. Some Serb men, just like many other men, will go after the women baring all in tight skirts and dresses -- tempted by biology, but that doesn't mean they are serious about them. So just stay aware of the traditional views despite what "everyone" seems to be wearing and acting like today.
- Serbians love Slavic people. If you have any kind of Slavic background, like Russian, Polish, Czech, Slovak, or Ukrainian, it is a good idea to play it up. His family will also love you for it, too. Serbs have their own culture, but they are still a part of the greater Slavic culture.
- Serb men are more dominant. This is usually a good trait. Serb men are dominant in the categories of working and providing for their families, and also in treating women like women. When a Serbian man respects a woman, he will open doors for her, lift heavy objects for her, and defend her honor. There can be a lot of machismo is Serb men, so just make sure it is good, traditional machismo and not player machismo.
Cook for him with Ajvar
- Serbs love a woman that can cook. Serbian food might seem a little eclectic to most people. They eat foods like fried squid, cabbage dishes, stuffed peppers, potato dishes, and a delicious sauce called ajvar. If you can produce these foods, you will be ever closer to a Serbian man's heart!
- Your date is probably interested in science. Serbian people have a reverence for Nikola Tesla, who is one of the most brilliant scientists in history, and also of Serbian descent. Although Serbs can be found in a variety of occupations, many of them have a good knowledge of a science, like chemistry, physics, or biology.
Are you dating a Serb or Serbian-American?
Tips on Dating Serbian Women
- Serbian women are sharp-witted. Don't try to fool her because her and her people have mastered survival tactics that can scope out bad seeds almost as fast as they lay eyes on them. Be honorable and only approach her if you genuinely like her.
- Watch for the men in her family. Serb fathers and brothers are highly protective of the women in the family. So play your cards right. They know what you are after. Sex before marriage is usually frowned upon, so do not try to jump in bed with her any time soon.
- Do you have your future lined up? Do you have a good job or are you a college student with an eye on your future career? Being able to present yourself as a man who can take care of himself and is financially prepared for life is a basic necessity to a Serb girl.
- Do you have a decent character? Serbian people have an insularity to their culture, often staying to themselves. Anyone they bring into their circle is expected to be moral, ethical, drug-free, and have a good sense of propriety. Serbs are majority Orthodox Christian, and showing an understanding for a Christian way of living is standard.
- Serbian women underneath it all have Slavic sensuality. When a Serb woman has the right man who she knows is interested in marrying her, she will then open up this side of herself to you. If a Serb woman wears a bikini or short shorts, it still means look but don't touch.