The Best Self-improvement Practices That Will Make You a Better Person
There's a continued need by people to want to become better. You may want to improve or change a part of your life that doesn't agree with your future goals. These may vary, i.e., you may want to feel better? Or lose some weight, or maybe even learn something new? I will teach you some skills that can impact your life, take the time, and learn.
1. Reading Books
Books are a good source of wisdom and entertainment. You can start reading self- help/ motivational books as they have the potential of inspiring you to be better.
But, what if you love reading novels instead. Well, a good book can give you an amazing personal experience. A well-written book can arouse your minds and heart and improve your imaginative abilities.
It's evident that the more you read, the better your verbal and vocabulary skills become. Research suggests that reading literary fiction books broadens your mind and increases our ability to empathize with others. A good book, whatever genre you choose, can make you a better person. Reading also makes you empathetic, knowledgeable, entertained, and inspired.
2. Create Visualization Boards
To achieve your goals, prioritize them by keeping them at the top of your mind. So you can move towards them, a vision board is the best tool to help you achieve that. Putting your board where you can see it daily will motivate you to visualize your perfect life consistently. That makes it a good thing as it activates your subconscious mind and programs the brain to see things differently and better than they are currently.
Imagination is said to help attract people, resources, and opportunities that you require to achieve your goals. If you make a habit of using your imagination daily, you will realize you are doing things that take you closer to your ideal life hence making you a better person.
Here is how you can create an empowering visualization board
- Begin by making a list of goals that you wish to achieve in a specific period.
- Collect pictures that represent the goals you want to accomplish from old newspapers and magazines
- Stick the images in a poster paper using glue, tape or tack to make a picture collage
- Add inspiring affirmation words that represent the emotions you will want to feel when you achieve your goals.
- Take time each day to think about your vision board.
3. Be An Early Riser
Studies suggest that waking up early and success might be linked. Most motivational gurus and business experts claim to be early risers saying it's the best productive time as you're able to work with no interruption, have more time for exercising, and also be able to manage your time better.
Rising at dawn is a personal decision. You should find a routine that fits the situation you are in at the moment and determine the benefits you will attain should you start waking up early. Waking up at the wee hours may turn out to be counterproductive, so you should evaluate yourself to figure out if it works for you as it does not work for everyone.
It will be the best waking up strategy if you find you are usually keen and attentive during the morning hours. You may choose to wake up early for many reasons. For instance, high job satisfaction may make you eager to wake up early, so you get to work on time. However, If you are a new parent or are working non-traditional hours, you may have little choice when they start their day.
4. Write a Letter to The Future You
You may ask how this makes you a better person. Well, if you have something you always want to remember, write a letter to yourself and you will never forget it. Writing letters is vital as:-
- It makes you look out not to repeat some mistakes that you have made, and we are all prone to do, the letter acts as a reality check.
- Notes serve as a reflection tool. Most people use a journal to reflect and draw conclusions about their life, therefore, helping you to be a better person.
- Diaries and letters are like time-machines, reading them take you back to those specific moments of a life that made you happy or sad remind you how far or little you have made it in life.
5. Be Grateful
Learn to count your blessings every moment of the day. Think about the people who make an impact on your life or the things that you have achieved. Thankfulness in small and great things enables you to boost your mood by giving you a positive mindset. Gratefulness improves your self-esteem and makes you more resilient. Hence you're able to handle stressful situations. Also, the prolonged feelings of happiness make you less aggressive.
6. Practice Speed Reading
Speed reading enables you to read more Most people spend their time either reading reports, emails, or magazines. The reading speed for most of these people is 200-250 words per minute on average. This capacity can be increased to 600 words per minute with full comprehension saving you time as you can grasp concepts faster, improving your life and career and your social life. A speed reader is up to date on the news and has a lot to share during a conversation. It improves your concentration, confidence, and adds to your knowledge abilities.
7. Pick a New Hobby
Apart from your usual hobbies, you may have a new one that seems to capture your interest. Maybe you want to play chess, learn dancing, be a wine taster, or even be a web designer. A hobby can stretch your capabilities in physical, mental, and emotional areas. You can follow one of the ways to improve your physical, psychological, and emotional abilities.
Most people desire to improve a part of themselves once in a while. If you want to be a better person, there are various things you can do, such as reading, practicing gratefulness, picking a new hobby, or practicing speed reading. You will be amazed by the person you will become.
- Chua, C. (2020, March 5). 42 practical ways to improve yourself. Lifehack. https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/42-practical-ways-to-improve-yourself.html
- Can reading books make you a better person? (2016, July 31). The Boston Globe. https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2016/07/31/can-being-book-reader-make-you-better-person/xEycTjirevpcxV5TIbZOiP/story.html?outputType=amp
- Belyh, A. (2019, September 20). How speed reading will help you get more things done. Cleverism. https://www.cleverism.com/speed-reading-will-help-get-things-done/
- Think and Grow Rich -Napoleon Hill
- Who Moved My Cheese -Spencer Johnson
- The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari -Robin Sharma
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living -Dale Carnegie
- Who Moved My Cheese -Spencer Johnson