Why do people get divorced : Top 10 Reasons for Divorce
Reasons why Marriages fail
"Do you take this Man / Woman to be your Husband / Wife till death due you part?"
Many of us who have taken those vows expected a fairytale end in our grandmother stories which said “And they lived happily thereafter.” But unfortunately marriage is not a fairytale. Believe it or not, Divorce rates all over the world are going up year after year. However, going for a Divorce or not depends upon the kind of relationship the couple has. Some relationships are worth working on, some aren’t. If a marriage cannot be saved, it is better to go for a Divorce than be trapped in a miserable and unhappy relationship.
Why do people get Divorced? 10 common Reasons for Divorce
There are many reasons why people get divorced. Some of the major reasons why marriages fail or people get divorced are given below.
- High Expectations: Many couples enter into marriage with high expectations and when they don’t happen it leads to clashes and then breakup. Divorces often happen because people rarely discuss their expectations in detail prior to marriage and are less willing to work on their marriages afterwards and would like quick solutions rather than having to resolve issues. Believe it or not People have even gotten divorced for reasons like snoring than treating and solving the problem.
- Adultery: One of the major reasons of Divorce is the infidelity of the Partner. Even after several years after the death of Princess Diana, the World has not forgotten her tearful admission that Prince Charles affair with Camilla wrecked her marriage. There are many such men and women who wreck their own marriages.
- Compatibility: Marriage is not just about physical compatibility; the couple should have mental compatibility as well to have a successful marriage. When the couple is not in tune with each others feelings then there is a higher chance that they might end up divorcing.
- Low Tolerance and Rigidity: Many couples exhibit a very low level of tolerance in marriage and stay rigid in their outlook. When both partners want to get things their own way and not compromise that may lead to a divorce. Many overlook the importance of compromise and flexibility for the successful working of a marriage.
- Dowry and Harassment: Especially in India Dowry is one of the main reasons for Divorce. It is rightly said that “Money is the root of all evil’. Some men harass their wives to bring in more money from her parental home and when her parents cannot keep up with his demands the relationship ends in a Divorce. There are also men who marry for the booty not the wife. As more booty can be attained by marrying more than once there are several men who simply get divorced to pave the way for another victim.
- Lack of Commitment: For many couples the marriage vows are just a ceremony and do not follow or keep the commitment made through the vows to the partner. They tend to forget that it takes commitment to nurture any relationship than looking for quick fix solutions and giving up too easily.
- Lack of Physical Attraction: As years go by its quite natural for the couples to lose interest in maintaining their beauty and health. Such a situation can get the partner to stray thereby resulting in divorce. Further there are men who marry ugly or physically handicapped girls just for the hefty dowry they could bring without giving much importance to their appearance. Once the money is gone their dissatisfaction can cause physical and verbal abuse resulting in the marriage breaking up.
- Family Pressures: There are several cases where parents have forced or blackmailed their daughter or son to enter into a marriage against their wishes. There are also cases where the parents have forced their daughter or son to break the marriage promising a better life or threatening to harm the partner. Interference of Parents or in-laws too some time ends up in divorce.
- Lack of communication: Lack of communication between couples can be a major reason for break up. A marriage is on the rocks when the lines of communication fail. Many expect their partners to guess what they want or what their problem is without communicating. Because of this sometimes even small misunderstandings end up in divorce.
- Family Background: People who come from divorced homes are more likely to get divorced than people who come from happily married households. Many of such children do not have belief or faith in the institution of marriage and does nothing to salvage the marriage. Divorce seems less like a big deal if you have seen your parents go through with it.
Apart from this cheating or passing wrong information about the bride or groom can be a reason for Divorce. Many times we come across cases where the parents of the groom hide that their son is a drug addict or drunkard or have an affair. When such things come to like the marriage can end in a Divorce. Also according to law there are provisions for Divorce in case of infertility, impotency or non-consummation of marriage under the Special Marriages Act, Hindu Marriage Act, Christian Divorce Act and Dissolution of Muslim Marriages Act.
A clear understanding of what makes a marriage work can help in having a successful relationship. There may be more reasons for Divorce which I might have ignored. Please feel free to add it through comments.
© Content Copyright Anamika S Jain, All Rights Reserved. This Hub may not be reproduced, distributed, modified or reposted to other websites without the express written permission of the Author.