Expectations in Marriage: Realistic, Unrealistic, Unspoken and How to Deal with them
- Amazing Quotes for Married Couples
Here are some great quotes for married couple to have a healthy, fulfilled marriage and have a wonderful relationship with each other.
- 6 Inspirational Movies for Couples
Here are some great movies that all couples will enjoy with inspiration, romance, love and a lot more.
- 3 Fun Meaningful Activities for Engaged Couples
Engaged Couples are often busy with wedding planning, that the actual day to day married lifestyle is neglected. Here are three great activities that engaged couples can do to help them as married couples to understand one another.
Marriage is a merging of two lives from different background, lifestyle and expectations. Every couple has expectations of marriage before they are married, after they are married and throughout their years of marriage. Some of them are aware of the expectations while others are not. Some expectations can be realistic, unrealistic, assumed, but remain unspoken to each partner. Expectations can often create emotional distress, conflicts, breakdown in communication, misunderstandings, distrust and many other problems when unspoken and not met. The high and unrealistic expectations of marriage is one reason for the the high divorce rate and dissatisfaction in marriages. Maybe your partner has expectations you never knew about. You then assumed that her expectation would be similar to yours, when in fact they did not. What are realistic expectations and unrealistic expectations and how to deal with i, well here are some insights.
Unrealistic expectations places the responsibility and dependence onto another person for your happiness.
UNREALISTIC EXAMPLES OF EXPECTATIONS
- Expect your partner to be to make you happy all the time.
- Expect your partner to rescue you from a boring life.
- Expect that everything will fall in place after the honeymoon.
- Expect him/her to be the same person in the marriage or expect that he/she will change his habits and ways after the marriage.
- Expect him/her will know what you need without having to say anything and will meet your needs emotionally.
- Expect your spouse will make up for all the people who did not love you, and was not there for me and understand you like no other.
- Expect to look into each other’s eyes and make love all the time.
- Expect him/her to always agree with every decision, input and view, likes and dislikes, and with everything you want and the way you think it should be done.
- Expect that there will be no conflicts or disagreements and always get along with each other.
- Expect that you should not have to discuss anything or talk through things
- Expect your life not to change. I can still go on, live and do the things I did as a single adult- same hobbies and interests. My partner will not mine.
Realistic Expectations provides a clear view of what to expect in a marriage and prepares us beforehand, so if it does occur it will not come as a total shock.
EXAMPLES OF REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS
- Expect that marriage requires work, love and commitment to each other, communication, trust, understanding and respect.
- Expect that the husband to work hard and provide
- Expect that there will disagreements on and your partner will not always agree on everything.
- Expect your partner to not be your only source of happiness.
- Expect that each partner will have different views and perspectives on various topics- finances, parenting, traditions, politics, God
- Expect that they will be conflicts and you both will have to work through in resolving them
- Expect that there will be times where we will have to discuss things
- Expect that there will be some good times and challenging times with in-laws.
- Expect your partner to make mistakes.
- Fun Ways for Couples to Get to Know Each Other
Getting to know specific things about your partner can be very fun, exciting and surprising. Here are some ways to know specific things about them.
- The Best Seven Books for Couples: Engaged and Marrie...
Here are some great books to help committed couples, engaged or married have a better relationship with each other, be able to communicate and understand one another.
HOW TO DEAL WITH EXPECTATIONS
1. Recognize them
The way to recognize expectations is by being aware of the feelings related to an unmet expectations and by asking yourself questions like: What was I expecting or wishing should happen? What did I assume my partner would do with this particular incident? You can also recognize your expectation by listing your expectation for your marriage and your mate in these areas:
Marital roles, Household Tasks, spending time together, spending time on weeknights/weekends, sex, parenting/children, making decisions, decision about traditions, handling finances, shopping, friendships, career, during stressful times, etc
Your list may look like this or even fall into the unrealistic expectations examples.
OTHER EXAMPLES OF EXPECTATIONS
- Expect your marriage to be like what is portrayed in the movies- like a fairy tale- constant passion, romance and intimacy or like a certain actor or actress.
- Expect the marriage to be like how dating and courtship was
- Expect we do something together every Friday.
HELP IN AND OUT OF HOME
- Expect your husband to help in the home and fix anything that goes wrong in the home-leaking roof, plumbing problems, home repair, electronic repairs,
- Mow the lawn, clear snow out of the driveway, remove ice or snow from my car, change a flat tire or fix any car repair,
- Expect whoever cooks, the other will clean up.
- Expect him to take care of the housekeeping when i am sick
- Expect your wife to make breakfast every morning, pack a lunch and to cook all the meals
- Expect to eat out every weekend
- Expect your spouse to pay all the bills, budget the finances
- Expect to him/her to bring in an income
- Expect to buy a house after first year of marriage or a bigger home after our 2nd child.
- Expect a portion of partner's income used to buy a car or some other major purchase
- Expect my partner to put me through further school studies as I helped him.
- Expect to stay home with the kids and not work full time.
2. Understand and Evaluate your Expectations
As you list what you expect of your mate and marriage in different areas, then you can now evaluate where your expectations are coming from. Is it coming from your parents relationship your own dreams, wishes, assumptions, what is viewed in television and movies, from past relationships, unmet needs, from friends or friends marriages, hopes, standards, culture or elsewhere.
In this way, you can evaluate if it is realistic or unrealistic.
3. Share your expectation with your partner and why it is important to you
When you share your expectation with your partner, you are actually making your unspoken needs and desires for the marriage spoken. You then also give your partner the opportunity to decide if he or she can meet that expectation and satisfy that need or if it is somewhat challenging and difficult to do so. This is not an exercise to demand that the partner meets the expectation once it is verbalized. But this process will help both of you to understand what is realistic, unrealistic, and view what is appropriate or not appropriate. Expectations can change overtime, so this is something that must be discussed. When each partner genuinely understands their expectation of another, it will strengthen the relationship to greater depths.
More Helpful Hubs
- 12 Early Warning Signs that a Person is Not Right For You
If you are in a relationship, starting a new relationship and want to know if this person is definitely the right one, here are things I have seen to help individuals to know if this is the one.
- 6 Major Differences Between Men and Women
Knowledge of these differences between men and women can help husbands and wives, boyfriend and girlfriend understand one another,be able to communicate, get along with other and understand why they respond in a certain way. Take a look at these majo
- Happiness in a Marriage: Tips, Keys and Secrets
Are you not happy with your marriage? What does happiness in a marriage look like? Here are some secrets and insights to maintaining a wonderful relationship with your spouse.