- Gender and Relationships»
Why Falling in Love with Your Best Friend is Awesome
Are you lucky enough to have fallen in love with and married your best friend? Here are five reasons why falling in love with and marrying your best friend is the best thing ever! I fell in love with and married my best friend. After 20 years of marriage, here are my top five reasons spending the rest of your life with your best friend is awesome!
1. You already know about and accept all of your best friend's flaws and weaknesses. One of the things that many people claim when their relationships or marriages break up if that the other person 'changed.' Or they never really knew each other to begin with. But when you fall in love with your best friend, don't you already know him inside out?
Loving someone unconditionally without feeling the need to change who they are or manage their lives is one of the things that makes marriages last. The enduring support and encouragement that you get from your best friend is a form of unconditional love. You are allowed to be who you are with your best friend. And you should be allowed to be who you are with the person you spend the rest of your life with! That's why falling in love with your best friend can be so amazing!
Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.— Ann Landers
2. You already know the in-laws. Long before you fall in love with and marry your best friend, you'll likely have already met your in-laws and spent quite a bit of time getting to know them. When you are visiting your best friend's parents and family there's no awkwardness. You don't have to feel like you are being assessed or sized up as relationship or marriage material. You are just the cool best friend who makes their son or daughter happy.
If your best friend has difficult relationship with his parents and family, there will be no surprises either. As your partner's best friend you'll have access to family secrets long before you become an official couple. You'll have yours eyes wide-open to your partner's family history, the good, the bad, and the downright funny.
- 5 Signs That Your Best Friend Is Falling in Love with You
How can you tell if your best friend of the opposite-sex wants to be more than just friends? Is there a way to tell if he is romantically interested in you?
3. No one gets left behind when you and your best friend get together and become a couple. One of the things about having a best friend who isn't the person you are dating is that as you and your new partner start to spend more and more time together getting to know one another and falling in love, your other friends may start to feel like they are being neglected. Your best friend might start to feel like she is just tagging along while you and your new boyfriend are having fun together.
If your best friend and your new partner have different personalities and interests, you may find your social life and love life being pulled in separate directions. But when the person you are dating is already your best friend, then there's no need to worry about anyone getting left out. All of your other friends already know how tight the two of you are as best friends and so no one need feel jealous of the time that you spend together.
4. You have twice as many anniversaries as everyone else. Most couples have the standard set of anniversaries: first date, first kiss, first time together, first year, and so on. When you fall in love with and marry your best friend, you have even more special occasions to celebrate. You get to celebrate both the day you first met and the day you realized that you were in love with each other. One of the best things about falling in love with and marrying your best friend is that you have such a long, beautiful history together!
What do you think would be difficult about marrying your best friend?
Here are even more reasons falling in love with your best friend is so spectacular:
- You can finish each others sentences without even trying.
- You have the best collection of inside jokes.
- Normal bodily functions don't get in the way of a good date (and can sometimes be funny, or gross, or both!).
- You already know how to entertain one another when you are bored.
- You don't have to put up with the weekend dating scene at clubs and bars anymore.
- Same goes for online dating---when you fall in love with your best friend, you bypass all the risks associated with online dating. You already know that your best friend is a great, trustworthy guy!
The funny video below is a great illustration of what it's like to be in love with your best friend!
What do you think are the upsides to falling in love with and marrying your best friend? Leave a comment and share your thoughts!
Image Credits: Pixabay
© 2016 Sadie Holloway