- Gender and Relationships»
- Dating & Online Dating
Fun first date ideas
Think of the worst first dates you've ever been on. Now try to think of why that went so bad. Was it just because of the other person or did it actually have something to do with what you did on the date? We can't help when the other person is a dud, but we can give them and ourselves a better chance when we have a great date.
Let's look at some classic, and ultimately bad choices for a first date:
1. Coffee / Dinner / Lunch. I like to call these "Job interview" dates. You might as well just bring a printed copy of your resume because when two people are sitting across from each other with nothing to do but talk it will almost always turn into a "What do you do?" "What do you like?" question session. Why is this bad? Because you can't really tell what someone is like based on these things. They can have a great job, like cool stuff, but still be boring for you to be around. Avoid any situation where these questions can come up, especially early in the date.
2. Movie / Play / Concert. While you will probably avoid the above types of interview questions, it's not for the right reason: You can't talk at all. Let's face it, if this is a first date and you know almost nothing about the person sitting beside you, are you really paying attention to the movie anyway?
3. A walk. Same as number 1.
4. Go to a bar. Besides the fact that either of you getting too drunk will likely end poorly, if you aren't a master of deflection your partner is likely to get attention from other people. The best way to beat the competition is to have none.
Ok, so then what's left to do? Well actually a whole lot. The key is looking at why the above are so bad. Firstly, too much focus on one another. Too much pressure. No way to show true personality and have fun.
So here are a couple great ideas for a first date:
1. Chuck E Cheese / Dave and Busters. This is a great choice because you don't have a lot of time to have the interview questions. You're too busy competing or working with one another playing fun games. It's a great way to have fun and really explore each other's personality.
2. Bowling / Pool / Mini golf. Same reasons as above.
3. Cooking Class / Mixology Class / Chocolate making class. The above examples are super fun but have a lot of competition and still are just the two of you. In a cooking class the two of you can work together and are led by an instructor. This takes nearly all the pressure off the two of you and you can just focus on having fun. And the best part is you get to eat what you make!
4. Wine tasting / Cheese tasting / Chocolate / Coffee tasting. This has many of the same characteristics of the above except less hands on for those that are afraid to perform. They are still led by instructors and give a lot of opportunity for fun to be had.
5. Science centre / Aquarium / Zoo. Each of these have various activities that draw attention away from interview questions and give plenty of room for fun.
6. Trivia / Name that tune / Karaoke. For the more adventurous, these will give you a little time to shine while still keeping the focus on the game. My city has a great Punk Rock Bingo night that is super fun!
There are just a few examples of great first dates. I encourage you to think of other great ideas and add them to the comments.