Generation Gaps Four Generations Born Apart
Socrates on Generation Differences
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." Socrates Ancient Greece
Bridging Gaps Products
The Generation Gap
You ever find yourself trying to talk to someone older or younger than yourself only to discover that you have trouble communicating with them? The real truth is that we find ourselves aging and the gap between our youth and our responsibility of adulthood widens with it. We no longer relate to the youth of the up and coming generation that follows us. This is the generation gap that we all hear about.
Remember how different our parents were from us as teens? They almost seemed to come from a totally different world. They didn't understand you, they didn't know anything and no matter what you'd do things different when it was time for you to be their age. But the fact is that we all mature and with maturity comes responsibility. Each new generation brings with it a new look on life and these views come from the changes in ones culture, society, and the events and novelties that happened and existed within their childhood. Here we will explore four generations spanning the length of century alive on this world together...
- The Baby Boomers - Born in the 1950s to the mid 1960s
- Generation X - Born in the mid 1960s to the late 1970s
- Generation Y - Born in the mid to late 1980s to the mid to late 1990s
- Generation Z - Born in the early 2000s to 2010.
We will explore the differences in their choices and their way of life. The types of technology they all grew up around and the types of differences there are between them.
How Do You Relate to Other Generations?
Can you relate to your parent, grandparent, or grandchild?
Knowing Your Generation
- The children of the Lost Generation, also called the (Greatest Generation) those people who suffered through WWII and the Depression Era.
- They lived their young life through the 60's era of activism, cultural shifts, the Vietnam War, and a transition to a rock and roll counter culture.
- They are now in their 60's and 50's and are the major players in positions of power.
- It is said they are the "ME" Generation, indicating their parents spoiled them.
- These professionals are also known as the ZOOMER Generation because of their out of the box ways of thinking and of moving ahead to their higher positions.
- The Boomer Generation also has a large veteran population because of the Vietnam War, a very controversial war / regional conflict at the time. Many of the vets were seriously physically and psychologically scarred by their deployment in Vietnam.
- Generation X are the children born of the Boomer Generation. They were born in the mid 60's to late 70's.
- They were children in the 1980s and grew up around material abundance and suffer from lack of substance.
- They are considered cynical yet pragmatic in their approach to life.
- They struggle against authority and challenge others ideas.
- These young adult professionals were hit hard by the housing and .com crash of the 90's and 2007 - 10.
- The Generation born from the X Generation these children have been called the Millennium Generation or the Net Generation.
- The Gen Y generation suffer from what is called Peter Pan syndrome where the child passes their rights to adulthood to stay home and live off their parents.
- Gen Y is also referred to as the Echo Boomer Generation because they were born during the 90's when the .com era began and the Baby Boomers that hadn't had children began having children alongside the Gen X Generation.
- This generation has never known a world without cell phones, the internet, or high tech video games.
- These are the children born after 9/11 2001 to 2010.
- There is still much to learn about this Generation since their ideals have yet to surface.
- So far it seems that Generation Z is the new Silent Generation a generation of thinkers and of social interests and artistic sharing of information. (Facebook and Myspace).
- Born into a world of higher technological advancement and of war this generation has not known a world without war or ecological disaster thrust upon them by the former generations that came before.
What Comes Next?
The children born after 2010 will be called Generation Alpha. Hence a new beginning coming out of the old world and into a new era. What type of world will these children inherit from us? It will be up to us and how we choose to change our way of life and our ideals to help guide them from our own mistakes.