- Gender and Relationships»
- Relationship Problems & Advice
How To Be Honest Without Being Offensive (Emunah La-Paz Defines You)
Have you ever hurt someone through a rude comment? Or has someone hurt your feelings through harsh words?
Speaking the truth in love can be a bitter pill to swallow however, there are ways to approach a tense situation without being judgmental or harsh.
This article is about how to be honest without being offensive.
Is It Possible To Be Honest Without Hurting People's Feelings?
Sally is your best friend that you have known for years! Sally is a sweetheart! She would give you her last dollar if you asked.
Your good friend Sally shares that she has decided to become a clothing designer and that she can't wait to show you her latest fashion statement.
Later that evening Sally shows up on your doorstep wearing a lettuce hat and holding a bundle of carrots, radishes and asparagus.
Around her neck is a cucumber and tomato necklace. To make matters worse, you cant even begin to describe what Sally is wearing from the waist down.
How Would You Respond?
- Hey Sally! I see you've been drinking again, if you don't get off my porch I'm gonna call the police.
- Hey Sally! Is This your way of telling me that I've got to drop a couple of pounds?
- Run to your kitchen cabinet grab a box of croutons and sprinkle them on top of Sally's lettuce hat.
- Give Sally an encouraging smile and try to help her figure out new ways to improve her outfit.
- Lie, and tell her that you like it.
To be honest I Emunah, would grab croutons and sprinkle them on top of her head while laughing, and then afterwards I would probably call the police.
My actions could explain why I may not have many friends :-(
How Would You Respond To Sally?
If Sally Showed Up On Your Doorstep Dressed In This Outfit How Would You Respond.
I Wish I Would Have Told Her The Truth
Why Can't I Keep My Mouth Shut
Miranda faced a similar situation where she had a friend who decided to become a designer.
"My best friend decided to become a fashion designer. Her creations were hideous, but I didn't have the heart to tell her. Instead I lied, and told her that she was going to Paris someday.
I told my friend that she had an eye for fashion, and now, she wants to design my wedding dress! I wish I would have told her the truth."
How To Be Honest Without Being Offensive
I Don't Know How To Tell My Friend The Truth Without Hurting His Feelings.
I wish I would have told my friend the truth. A good buddy of mine started a rock band, and he wants me to join him. The only problem is that my friend, is not a good singer.
For starters my friend is way too old to be starting a band. He just went through a brutal hip replacement surgery. He has to lean against the bar stool to keep his balance.
I told him I'd join the band, just to shut him up. But...the whole thing is ridiculous! The name of my friends band is fit for a young boy group. In reality, we should call ourselves 'Mid Life Crises' because we sound bad and we all look old.
I don't know why he can't buy a red convertible like every other guy going through the change.
I don't know how to tell him the truth without offending him.
What Could Happen If You Tell The Truth Vs. What Could Happen If You Don't Tell The Truth.
What Could Happen If You Tell The Truth.
What Could Happen If You Are Not Honest.
What Happens If You Mock The Situation.
I Could Hurt Someone's Feelings
The Person Could Be Mislead.
Hurt Feelings Could Emerge
They Could Hate Me Forever.
You could Be Noted As An Untrustworthy Individual.
A Fight Could Break out.
They Could Hurt My Feelings
Someone Could Get Hurt.
You Could Be Written Off As A Heartless Person.
The X Factor Season 5 Favourite Bad Auditions Part 2
A word fitly spoken Is like Apples Of Gold In Network Of Silver
Proverbs 25:11: A word fitly spoken Is like Apples Of Gold In Network Of Silver. So what does this mean?
We need to filter our words. Finding the precise words to lift our friends up instead of tearing them down is very important.
We live in a competitive world which often encourages people to run over others by way of ridicule and mockery.
Our words should lift a person up. Since what comes out of our mouths can make an everlasting impression, we must try our best to filter the process.
A perfect example of words not spoken aptly can be viewed in the following video.
How To Be Honest Without Being Offensive
- Choose Your Words Wisely!
- Honesty is the best policy. However looking for ways to improve a situation is key. Choose your words wisely.
- Improving a situation can be like molding and shaping an individual to bring out their best.
- Taking the time to encourage others is a positive reflection.
- Do on to others as you would have them do on to you. We may never show up on someone's doorstep dressed as a salad, however many of us have had some embarrassing moments, in which someone spoke words of kindness into our lives to help us through an off moment in time.
© 2014 Emunah La Paz