- Gender and Relationships»
- Relationship Problems & Advice
How do women see men?
Women versus Men
Oscar Wilde said : “A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction.”
Having in mind this quote, we can start thinking about this subject, how do women see men just by looking at their faces.
Menstruation - an important factor
A neurologist, Heather Rupp of the Institute of Reproductive and Sex Research in Bloomington, discovered that women see men differently depending on the stage of the menstrual cycle.During ovulation, the women's brain activity intensifies in the regions associated with reward and decreases in those of inhibition and cognitive control.
What is the effect of ovulation?
The studies show that increased sensitivity in the ovulation period may generalize to other reward stimuli such as alcohol and drugs predisposition.This observations show the increased role that hormones have in sexual behavior and especially addictions.
MRI sustain the statements
The researcher used MRI to study the brain activity and this led to some conclusions :
- Women have more activity in brain areas that respond to the collection of images processing rewards and faces during ovulation;
In the same period she saw less activity in areas associated with inhibitory and the perception of risk (frontal cortex).
- When women see men's faces which suggests a sexual attraction , they have weaker brain activity in the decisions making and rewards, in comparison to the reaction they have when they see a man who doesn't attract them. This discrimination is accentuated during the end of the menstrual cycle;
- Female's brain is more active in the areas of risk and emotion when they see a masculine man face.
The instruments of this research
In this study, the researcher Heather Rupp has used photos of 250 men with traits that ranged from those that inspired the male sexual danger, each man having attached previous data on the number of partners and condom use habit.
Depending on this information, women granted higher or lower probability to the desire of having sex with those men.
I think this study is very helpful because it makes us understand that there is an explanation, based on scientific studies, that we can relate on when talking about women and how they see men.