How Much Should an Engagement Ring Cost?
How much did you spend on an engagement ring?
Well, the receivers of an engagement ring certainly have their own ideas as to how much an engagement ring should cost...
However, there is one rule that seems to stand the test of time (and love): 2 months worth of wages. This means that however much you make in one month, double it, and that's how much an engagement ring should cost. So if you make $72,000 a year, maybe you should be looking at the $12K rings.
Egads. That just sounds silly to me. No wonder some celebrities will spend millions on a rock for a finger. The rule works great, so long as you can count on no financial problems popping up in the near future... which you can't.
In reality, a couple should work together to decide how much an engagement ring should cost. There are a few considerations to keep in mind while making such a decision:
- Have you made any large purchases that will require payments in the next few months, such as a house or car? Maybe you're going to school, or there are kids to consider.
- How much do both of you make? What are your credit histories?
- How much does the reputation of the jeweler mean to you? Do you prefer looks to quality, or vice versa? How much effort are you willing to put into the upkeep of the ring?
- The desires of the bride; a big diamond? A band?
- What kind of work does the bride do? Does it involve her hands?
- How do you plan to pay for the ring? Cash? Credit? Loan? Store financing? Try to keep away from options that will tie you up for more than a few months.
Also, don't forget about the wedding! That will cost enough in itself.
A lower-end engagement ring may start at around $100. You can get a wonderful ring for $1,000 or $2,000, with the high end at around $5,000. Tiffany's most expensive rings at its mall locations may run up to $10,000.
If you're uncomfortable about purchasing the ring, don't do it and get something else. Your fiancée will understand if it's really meant to be.
And don't be sad if you can't afford the exact ring you both want. You can tweak it so that it can be affordable; for instance, getting a different gemstone of the same cut, or a different kind of gold in the ring.
Engagement Rings: A Gift or a Contract?
- How Much to Spend on an Engagement Ring
- Cost of an Engagement Ring - Get Prices and Estimates - CostHelper.com
Find out how much an engagement ring should cost. Get average costs and information for an engagement ring.
- Google Shopping Results for Engagement Rings