- Gender and Relationships
How to Ask Your Partner to Lose Weight Without Being Hurtful
Get your partner to lose weight...
How to Get Your Partner to Lose Weight
Your partner needs to lose weight, but you don't know how to tell him. The bottom line is that it isn't necessarily a looks thing. You are concerned for his health. The only problem is, this is such a sensitive subject that if you bring it up, you risk hurting his feelings.
It's no secret that weight loss is a hot button issue between husbands and wives. It's so easy to experience hurt feelings in the matter, especially if the subject is broached in the wrong way. The good news is that it is definitely possible to get your partner to lose weight without being hurtful.
Before getting started, keep in mind that it is really helpful to go to the doctor. Commit to your health in the New Year. Schedule an appointment for yourself and for your partner. Compare notes. This gives you a great starting point. Also, the doctor may give your partner the nudge that he or she needs to lose weight which eliminates the need for you to even say anything.
How do you bring this up with your partner?
How do you get your partner to lose weight?
Can couples lose weight together?
Lead By Example - Lose Weight With Your Partner
One of the best ways to get your partner to lose weight is to go through a weight loss journey of your own. Once he sees your success, he will likely join in.
Are you already at a healthy weight? You can still make positive health and lifestyle choices that will impact his weight loss. These strategies work whether or not you are both trying to lose weight or if it is just your partner who needs to lose weight. These include
- Don't buy junk food. If he asks where it went, tell him that you want to be healthier and don't want it around.
- Cook healthier meals. You have control over what you cook for your family. So, do things like prepare healthier versions of your favorite dishes, eating more fruits and vegetables as a family, and not eating pastries for dessert each night.
- Minimize snacking. Did you used to snack all the time? Minimize snacking. In addition, prepare healthy snacks for you and your partner. If the healthier choices are readily available it will be easier to encourage weight loss.
As you can see, it is possible to be supportive even if you don't need to lose weight. If you are lucky, you won't even need to have a conversation about how your partner needs to lose weight. If they take the bait, your example will be enough.
Get Fit Together Doing Something Fun
Another thing you can do to encourage your partner to lose weight is exercise together. There are a few ways you can do this.
- Do an exercise DVD together. I like Jillian Michaels' DVD's quite a bit because she is motivating and her workouts are efficient.
- Take walks together. This is an easy thing to do especially since all you need are your legs and feet and a good pair of walking shoes. You can do this virtually anywhere.
- Active leisure time. Go for bike rides together. Take up a sport together. Learn how to ski. Go on a hike. Being active on a "date" is a fun way to interact while also burning calories.
- Go to the gym. It can be really fun going to the gym with your partner. Couples that work out together motivate each other. Plus, it is a great way to spend time together.
Do you have any comments about this? Do you and your partner like to exercise together? I would love to hear what you do in the comments.
Work Out with Your Partner with Jillan Michaels
Tell Her She Looks Good!
Another important thing to do is to make sure to give your partner positive feedback whenever you see her making a positive lifestyle choice or when you notice progress. A simple compliment really does go a long way.
Here are some tips.
- Great meal. If you noticed that he's been eating healthier, mention it.
- Noticeable weight loss. Tell him that he looks great, even if he still has a long way to go.
- Clothes. Does your partner look great in that new pair of jeans? Let her know!
- Sexy. Tell him that he looks sexy when he exercises!
You get the idea. Give your partner enough compliments, and she'll realize she's onto something.