- Gender and Relationships»
- Happy Marriages
How to Keep Your Husband From Ruining the Laundry
He Thinks He's Doing You a Favor
I love how thoughtful and considerate my husband is. A couple of the reasons (among many) why I agreed to marry him. I work weekends as a Registered Nurse and he completely takes care of the kids (without complaining) when I work. I work long hours and typically go to work at 6am and get home around 7:30pm. My husband works Monday through Friday.
My husband always tries to keep things in order while I am at work. A hard feat as I can barely keep things in order when he is at work. He is a very creative housekeeper. The other day I picked up the swiffer and apparently we were out of the pads that go on it so he attached a washcloth to it to clean (what'd I tell you creative eh). I always tell him how I love his creative housekeeping. I always find his ingenious projects on Monday mornings when I am still exhausted from work, most of the time it makes me laugh...Sometimes it doesn't.
I would never tell him not to do any housework. No kidding, a husband who has no problem taking care of kids, and doing housework. A rare find, at least so I am told. I am probably guilty for taking advantage of this, and I joke that he just keeps me around for the paycheck...Sometimes he doesn't disagree.
How to Ensure He does the Laundry Properly
The one chore I tell my husband not to do. He still does. For the most part he doesn't ruin things; at least not as much as he used to. Here are the things that have made a difference.
- I made him replace my old washer and dryer. The old one was the cheapest one we could get as newly weds. It got where it left rust stains on clothes and the dryer frequently chewed stuff up when he used it. I had some tricks that I used to not get the clothes stained or chewed up but he never listened.
- I insist that he not wash my uniforms. I wear white to work at the hospital. Uniforms have gotten really expensive now. He never touches the uniforms.
- I hide the bleach.
- I let him use non chlorine bleach only.
- I buy Tide. It is the only detergent that I have found that gets most of the stains out and keeps clothes from wearing and fading.
- I refold everything and put it away properly. He doesn't know this...oops I guess he will if he reads this.
- Most Important: Praise him until he gets sick of it!
- Tide.com Home Page
Get info on Tide products, stain solutions, fabric care, plus additional savings here at the official site for Tide laundry detergent.