- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
How to Plan a Traditional Wedding
Planning a traditional wedding may seem to be easy at the first sight, as you simply need to do what is common, tried and tasted and use less effort on creativity. However fully organizing everything traditionally may be tricky! While traditional weddings were a “rule” before, and made the ceremony common, now they can be a beautiful classical choice over many modern weddings and yes, a way to be different! So here are a few steps to go while planning a traditional wedding.
Wedding Planning Checklist:
- Set a workable budget: think about how much money you wish or can afford to spend on your wedding (remember, traditional weddings are not cheap!).
- Make a list of guests to be invited, starting from relatives ending up with friends and other potential guests.
- Make up your mind on the date and book the wedding venue, if you wish.
- Hire a wedding photographer, if you are not a professional yourself.
- Rent a wedding dress with at least 3-4 feet long train and purchase the wedding rings.
- Choose the wedding cake design traditionally and order the cake.
- Purchase wedding accessories and make an appointment with hair and make-up artists.
- Make a list of the wedding songs, (hire musicians, if you wish).
- Organize the menu, flowers as well as the ceremony and reception order.
- Invite your guests!
- Choose wedding vows, if you can't write your own (which is preferred), look for them in wedding websites online or in books.
- Choose close relatives, such as brother and sister as the best man and maid of honor. If you don't have a brother or a sister, the cousins can substitute.
- Dress the bridesmaids in gowns with the same color and style. The maid of honor can wear differently.
- Finalize your home decorations, plan a sit-down dinner.
- Get ready for the honeymoon!
1. Cook Traditional Food
Every nation has its own national cuisine coming from old times. It is simply what our grandparents used to cook and eat. Thus whether you are a traditionalist yourself or just want to plan your wedding traditionally, you should be able to find traditional recipes. One way (and probably the best way) is to ask your parents or grandparents, as they are more likely to know many national recipes. Cooking websites and books on traditional cooking can be great alternatives.
For instance, if you wish to cook traditional American wedding food (which is adopted from different cultures, but also has Native American components), then consider serving appetizers, entrees and desserts in this same order.
The most common appetizers usually include:
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Honeydew or melon wrapped in prosciutto,
Entrée goes as simple as:
- Mashed potatoes
- Green beans
- Macaroni salad (or some basic salad)
- Stuffed peppers
- Bake chicken
- Fish (like cod)
While the wedding cake is always the queen of the table, cupcakes and other cookies will keep your guests in mood! Chocolate is always an option!
2. Wear Traditional Wedding AttireClick thumbnail to view full-size
Choosing Wedding Dress/Tuxedo
In most cultures (such as France, UK, Germany, USA, Italy, Spain, Russia and most of European countries) a white gown has been the traditional wedding attire especially after Queen Victoria’s marriage in the 19th century. White also symbolizes purity, innocence and virginity. However every nation has its own color for wedding dresses. Most Asian and Middle Eastern cultures have different preferences. For example in India, Vietnam, China brides wear a red wedding gown which symbolizes fertility and prosperity. Choose the color that is traditional in YOUR culture!
Don’t forget about traditional wedding accessories, such as a veil, bridal tossing garters etc.
As for grooms, a tuxedo or a morning suit is the most common wedding attire in the Western world. This includes a black morning coat, trousers, a waistcoat and a tie.
What Do You Know About Weddings?
view quiz statistics
3. Play Traditional Wedding Songs
When it comes to picking your wedding ceremony music, choose thoughtfully as it is something you are going to remember for the rest of your life! Think about some classical wedding songs you would enjoy while walking down the aisle. Here are some all-time hit wedding songs:
Wedding Ceremony Songs
- Wagner’s Bridal Chorus
- In My Life
- Procession of Joy
- Vivaldi’s Spring
- Here Comes the Bride
- Pachelbel’s Canon
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
First Dance Songs
- At Last by Era James
- Come Rain or Come Shine
- Endless Love
- I Had to Be You
- Marry Me
Father and Daughter Dance Songs
- I Loved Her First
- Through the Years
- Wind Beneath My Wings
- Bridge Over Troubled Water
- Stand By Me
- How Sweet It Is
Hey, this is just what Americans play at weddings, if you are from another nationality, choose your own traditional wedding songs. Whether you are planning your wedding in a church or in your garden, national music is the best for a traditional ceremony. Very often a professional may be of great help as well.
4. Choose Traditional Wedding Cars
Those old-fashioned vintage wedding cars will really create the mood! Take some time to do a thorough research and find what’s the best for you. The color of the wedding car is traditionally chosen by the bride.
If you don't own one (and you probably don't), It is a wise idea to hire them from a professional company with the help of a specialist.
Some offers are:
- Essex Super Six (1909)
- S2 Bentley (1962)
- Sunbeam Dawn (1934)
- Ford Skyliner Retractable (1959)
Way to go!
(If you have interesting wedding traditions to offer, you are welcome to share them in the comments!).
More Wedding Hubs
- How to Photograph Professionally at a Wedding
Learn how to photograph weddings professionally! These wedding photography tips and techniques will help you achieve great wedding images!
- How to Perform a Wedding Ceremony
Learn how to perform a wedding ceremony: Step by step guide.
- WWSD - What Would Sunshine Do? Love and Marriage....
Are you getting married? Do you know someone who is getting hitched? My daughter was married on May 13, 2011 and this was some of my advice to her and her hubby.
- First Dance Wedding Song Videos
The perfect song for your first dance as bride and groom could be a difficult decision. I've compiled some videos to help you out.
- My Favorite Country Music Marriages
Country music artists seem to have a secret to long lasting marriages...here are some of my favorites.