- Gender and Relationships»
- Happy Marriages
How to Be a Good Husband to Your Wife - 11 Qualities to Be the Perfect One
Eleven Qualities of an Ideal Husband
Many women spend their lives looking for a good husband. Even some parents won't sleep peacefully until they feel that their daughter is with a good man. After I wrote about the qualities of a good wife, I got a request to write about how to be a good husband or what sort of a husband a lady looks for. It is often heard that a good son will be a good husband. But I think a man should be more than just a good son to be a perfect husband.
Below are the desirable qualities of a husband.
How to Be a Good Husband?
1) Be Pleasant: Nobody likes an arrogant man. Be pleasant to everyone around you including your wife, friends and family. Be warm, kind, positive, understanding and friendly. It is often said that ‘What we give is what we get back.’ Try to arrive home as cheery and lighthearted as you can, even if you had a bad day at the office or are physically exhausted after driving through traffic. Just because your wife does not go out to work does not mean that her work is less strenuous. She might have been struggling with children and housework all day.
2) Respect the Vows: Faithfulness and loyalty are prime qualities a wife wants in her man. Have a sense of honor and duty. Remember that when you got married you took sacred vows. The honorable thing is to fulfill your duty to your wife that you took upon yourself the day you got married. It is the duty of a man to provide for his family. Never expect your wife to contribute to the smooth operation of the household. Even in this day and age of women in the workplace, most prefer to have that as an option rather than a necessary part of their lives. Motherhood and caring for a husband and home usually takes priority. Never assume that the money you earn is yours to do with as you like. You have a family to think about and their needs must always come before your own.
3) Reliable, Responsible and Supportive: Every woman wants her partner to be reliable and be there for her when she needs her. Support your wife in all stages of life. Provide reassurance when she is feeling down. Do not belittle her or hurt her ego. If she is a working woman understand her work pressures and problems. Be proud of her accomplishments and do not forget to compliment her. Be available for her when she needs a shoulder to cry on or when she needs support from you. Let her know that you care for her. When you are not near her at least make a phone call, even if you talk to her for only a minute or two. When you come back after work or on weekend do things with her or help her in whatever way possible. She will appreciate it even if you are not much of a help beca. Be a friend to her. When you don’t agree with her views, respectfully let her know that you don’t agree and give good reasons.
4) Adaptability and Sensitivity: As years pass by you'll see that glowing woman you fell in love with years ago does not look the same or behave in the same manner. She may be tied up with the pressure of home like the needs of children, financial obligations, etc. Allow her time to relax by taking some weight off her shoulders or take some time out so that you can spend some time together relaxing. Be sensitive to the needs of your wife and look to meet them. Do not let your feelings toward life's changes affect your feelings toward your wife. An ideal man needs to be sensitive to the requirements of his partner, treat her as an equal, understand when she needs to stay late at work or help with housework and contribute to the expenses.
5) Show Respect: If you expect respect from others, you need to treat others with respect too. Respect can be reflected in the way one talks and behaves. Always speak in a loving manner and refrain from speaking harshly. A good husband never chooses to belittle, strike, humiliate or otherwise harm his wife in private or in public. It is better to watch what you say and to think your thoughts through before speaking, as it is not possible to take back words once they have been spoken. Treat her with respect in front of others and at home. Do not look at other ladies in front of her. Take her opinion into cinsideration when making important decisions for the family. If you are bringing your buddies home, let her know in advance.
6) Judgment and Emotional Baggage: Many of us have emotional baggage. But do not bring that emotional baggage into the marriage. Many men praise their previous wives, girlfriends or mothers in front of their wives. Avoid judging every action or opinion your wife has and understand that she is different from you. Her experiences and likings may be different from yours, too. Making her feel that she does not measure up will only ruin your marriage.
7) Communication: Communication is the key to a solid marriage. Women also expect honesty in men. Honesty is what builds trust in your relationship with your woman. She may even forgive your mistakes, but only if you are honest with her and promise not to do it again. Women like their men to be open to them at all times and not keep them in the dark about what is going on in their lives. Find time to sit and talk with your wife on a daily basis even if it is just during dinner time. If you let things bottle up and feel that you cannot share with her then your marriage is in trouble. Be a good listener when she talks. Your wife too wants someone to listen to her and empathize with what's going on in her life. Listen avidly to your wife's complaints. Women cannot resist a man who understands their moods, attitude, feelings, values, likes and dislikes. This will encourage her to open up with you and not keep secrets. Good communication helps in building trust and strengthens your relationship. Make your woman laugh often. Women love men who are witty and have a sense of humor. Fights or problems may happen but do not let the world know about it, rather solve it between yourselves. The fight you had last week over shopping or whatever is over and done with. So move on and stop rehashing old stuff and reminding her of her faults. Do not resort to name-calling, hitting, spitting, breaking dishes or anything else when you lose your temper.
8) Love and Affection: Show your love and affection to her as often as possible. Every woman is a sucker for affection. If you only give her that stuff to get her into bed, your wife is going to notice and think it's insincere. A good husband will appreciate his wife and will notice her, even after twenty or fifty years of marriage. She needs you to notice when she gets a new haircut or dresses up in something sexy for you to come home to. If you fail to notice what she is doing for you too many times, she may just count it as fruitless and quit. Give your partner something fancy when she least expects it. Surprise her by planning a trip, preparing a nice dinner, giving a bunch of her favorite flowers or taking her out for shopping. Every woman likes to be pampered. Women, one way or the other, are nothing but overgrown babies who constantly need care. But every woman has their likings. Give her things that she likes instead of forcing your likes on her and show her that you care and will be always there for her. Never forget the special days in her life. Make an effort to initiate spontaneous affection with your wife. Build companionship by doing things together like a common interest or hobby. Give her a hug or a surprise kiss and tell her how much you love her. Hold hands with her when you’re out together. These small gestures show your wife that you’ve thought of her and help you reinforce your commitment to her.
9) Offer Protection: A woman needs to feel safe and secure with her man. She needs to feel that when he is with her no one can harm her. You don't need to be a muscle man but at least when you are with her others should not be making passes at her. She wants her man to behave like a man and treat her like a lady.
10) Give Her Space: As a husband you need to understand that your wife has a life other than you. She has her parents, friends and colleagues who too are part of her life. She also may have some hobbies or passions. Don’t expect her undivided attention. Don’t stop her if she wants to go out and hang out with her friends sometimes, engage in a hobby or spend some time with her parents.
11) Keep Her Happy in Bed: Sexual intimacy is essential to any marriage. Good sex helps to strengthen your emotional and physical attraction to her. Please your wife in bed and be faithful to her. No woman would tolerate a cheating partner. Good sex plays a vital part when it comes to a satisfying relationship and if you are not skilled in bed that is going to be a major turn-off. Never grumble about having to support children you didn't want to have. If you were irresponsible enough to help her get pregnant, then it is your duty to pay for that child. Do not bring porn into a relationship. Porn will only create unrealistic expectations in your mind about your spouse’s libido, body, and comfort level with weird sex positions.
In short, if you don't like how your partner treats you, take a minute to notice how you treat your partner and correct your behavior. If you are an ideal husband, that will help your wife to be an ideal wife. A wife usually responds to the way that she is treated. If she is treated like she is worthless, she will be worthless to you. But, if you treat her well, she will be a jewel in your crown, a pleasure to you and a forever blessing.
Have I left out anything? Feel free to add them in the comments.