How to get your wife or husband to lose weight: Convince your spouse to lose weight
How to get my wife to lose weight? How can I tell my husband to work out at the gym and get back in shape without hurting his self-confidence? What should I say to convince my wife to exercise and look sexy again, without making her feel bad? Motivating your spouse to lose weight is challenging because your comments can make him or her feel unattractive and less beautiful. This post discusses ways in which you and your partner can both become healthy and make fitness a priority in your marriage.
1) Gift your spouse clothes that are one size smaller
The easiest way to encourage your husband or wife to lose weight is to gift clothes that are one size smaller. The moment that partners don't fit into those stylish clothes, an instant realization to lose weight will happen. When confronted, claim that it was an honest mistake and that you thought that the size would fir him or her.
Husbands can gift their wives
- Designer panties that are a size smaller than hers
- Sexy dresses which are a tad too tight for her
- Casual body hugging tank tops
- Jeans from her favorite brand, only a size smaller
Wives can gift their husbands
- A pair of Levi's with a waist one size smaller to his
- Casual t-shirt which huge body
- Colorful men's underwear at the pretext of spicing things in the bedroom, only one size smaller
2) Subtly appreciate celebrities with toned bodies on TV
Casually appreciate celebrities with toned bodies next time you are watching TV with your husband or wife. Utter something along the lines of
Wow he has buffed up since the last time I saw him on TV
She seems to have been working out to get in shape for her role
Watching you subtly ogle at women and men celebrities will motivate your spouse to get in shape. Your husband or wife will hopefully feel the need to impress you by looking like your celebrity crush.
3) Get an annual family gym membership
Don't bother trying to convince your wife or your husband to join a gym. Just go and get an annual membership for the entire family.
Getting a gym membership for the entire family will have many benefits. Apart from giving your spouse a chance to go to your local fitness center, you will save a lot of money as compared to individual memberships for yourself, your spouse and your children.
4) Go on dates with your husband or wife after working out at the gym
A cute way of getting your husband or wife to go to the gym regularly is to set dates immediately after your workouts. Both of you can go to the gym together. Carry an extra pair of clothes and shoes so that you can take a shower after your workout at the gym and change into something nice.
While you are working out, flirt with your wife or husband and express your excitement at how you can't wait to finish exercising and go for your romantic date. Head over to a dinner or a movie date straight from your workout together. The incentive of going out on a fun date will motivate your spouse to look forward to your workout sessions at the gym.
5) Set a weight loss plan together: Work out together if possible
A common weight loss plan between a husband and wife can transform a married couple's health levels and personal bonding. Apart from helping you both to lose weight, a shared weight loss plan will help you bond with your spouse over workouts, diet plans and weight loss goals.
Both of you can motivate each other and take inspiration from each others' progress at the same time. If both your schedules allow, work out together.
6) Buy fitness equipment for your home
A treadmill, elliptical or other fitness equipment can set you back a couple of hundred dollars but that is a small investment when it is the question of your spouse's health. Don't waste your time driving from shop to shop and instead, go online and search for the best deals on fitness equipment.
Put the equipment in the garage and set an example by using it a couple of times in the week yourself.
7) Compliment your husband or wife immediately after a workout
Give your spouse compliments immediately after their workouts when he or she is huffing, panting and dripping in sweat. Tell your partner that you find their post-workout bodies very attractive.
This image building exercise will motivate your partner to work out more often. Every post-workout compliment will push your spouse to work out even harder the next time, hoping to attract you with a more toned body.
8) Never nag your husband or wife to lose weight: Don't make him or her feel less confident
Nagging your husband or wife to lose weight is something that you should never do. Asking a woman to become more attractive by losing weight is something that a man should never say to her. Telling a man that his bulging belly is making him look unattractive is something that will give a blow to his self-confidence.
Use subtle and indirect ways to motivate your spouse to lose weight. Direct taunts and continuous nagging will shatter your partner's self-confidence and worsen his or her battle with a weight problem.
9) Lose weight romantically: Go on dates which demand physical exertion
You can get your spouse to lose weight and get back in shape by going on romantic dates that demand a little bit of physical activity. Here are a few fun ways to exercise and ignite the romance in your marriage at the same time.
- Put up your bicycles on a rack behind your car and go to the countryside on the weekend where you can cycle on quaint countryside streets
- Walk together with your husband or wife at the park
- Go skiing
- Take salsa dancing lessons together
- Go rollerblading
- Have a sports night date together where you can challenge your husband or wife to a game of ping pong – add a romantic element to it by deciding that the winner gets can ask for any favor in the bedroom
10) Set an example by starting your own journey towards losing weight and getting fit
You will sound like a hypocrite if you have a bulging belly and you expect your husband or wife to lose weight to look sexy. Take the first step and start exercising yourself. Discuss with your spouse how you want to shed those few extra pounds and get in shape to look like how you did when you were a twenty something young man or woman.
Your husband or wife will love you for leading by example. Your enthusiasm and desire to get fit will automatically rub off on your spouse.
11) Make a joint fitness plan and reward yourselves at specific intervals with a vacation
If you have made a joint fitness plan with your spouse, reward yourselves at certain checkpoints by going on a vacation. For example, you both can decide that you will go for a long weekend trip to Hawaii if can shed at least 10 pounds of your combined weight.
The benefit of traveling like this is that both of you will have something to look forward to. This is a reward that both husband and wife can enjoy together.
12) Talk about health and fitness in your free time
Whenever you find yourself sitting with your partner and having nothing to talk about, start a conversation about health and fitness. Don't overdo it otherwise your partner will find your conversations very boring if you talk about the same thing again and again.
Regular chats like these will keep up the motivation to get back into shape.
13) Send your husband or wife inspirational text messages about health
An easy way to bump up your spouse's motivation to lose weight is to send him or her inspirational text messages. Search for quotes about exercising and send them to him or her every couple of days.
If you and your partner have embarked on a joint fitness plan, you can even print a motivational quote about working out and stick that piece of paper on your bedroom desk or your bathroom mirror.
14) Motivating your spouse to lose weight: Educate yourselves of the health risks of obesity
Knowledge can be an awesome source of motivation and inspiration. Get your iPad or laptop and sit with your spouse to educate yourselves on the health risks of obesity. Read Wikipedia pages and government websites so that you can get access to accurate information.
As your spouse becomes aware of how the obesity of a single person can affect the entire family, getting fit will slowly start becoming a priority.
15) Increase physical intimacy: Lose weight the spicy way
Sex is commonly known to be a calorie burner and there are fewer better ways for married couples to get fit. Drag your weight loss goals to the bedroom and get intimate with your spouse more often.
Apart from helping in your weight loss plans, this will help you rekindle the puppy love that you and your partner had going on in the early years of your relationship.
16) Encourage a healthy diet for the family on a daily basis to lose weight
Exercising is just one part of getting fit. If you want your husband or wife to lose weight, you will have to promote a healthy diet in the household. Play an equally responsible part in your spouse's journey to lose weight by charting out a healthy diet plan for the entire family.
You don't need to be an expert to know what it takes to develop a healthy eating habit. Here are some commonly used and widely known tips to help you set a healthy diet for your family.
- Eat more fruits on a daily basis
- Cut out regular intakes of junk food from your diet
- Sit with your spouse to come up with a simply yet healthy diet plan for all your meals
- Increase the intake of green vegetables in your diet
- Have salads with every meal
- Eat together as a family at fixed times
- Avoid eating snacks in-between meals
- Prefer low-fat alternatives to the foods and groceries you usually purchase
17) Don't become obsessed with fitness and losing weight
Some people tend to take the whole concept of health and fitness to a whole new level by becoming obsessed about it. They start counting calories at every bite and their lives start revolving around their fitness plan.
Don't let this happen to you or else you may ruin the happiness in your married lives. Here are a few common things that you must learn to accept.
- Change will not happen overnight – weight loss is a long journey that can lasts for many months and years
- Pressurizing someone to lose weight may backfire
- Make fitness a part of your life, not something around which all your daily habits revolve around
- Eat healthy, but don't count every single calorie
- Don't over-exhaust yourself in your workouts