How to Make Your Long Distance Relationship Work
How to make long distance relationship work
- Communication: try to communicate often or regularly, if possible set a time schedule for just both of you and keep to it. The state of being able to feel connected to your partner in as much as both of you are far is one of the goals in a relationship,because without effective communication in a relationship the relationship start to dwindle and before you know both partners start to lose interest in the relationship. Communication no matter how little but sincere goes a long way to keep the relationship, communication may go by setting a specific time for just you and your partner and doing more of video and voice calls rather than texting. Communication creates a bond between you and your partner.
Have a goal in mind:
Before entering into a long distance relationship, both couples should set out their goals in the relationship, long distance relationship is meant to be temporary so couples should set out the result they are willing to achieve in the relationship, setting goals give the relationship motivation and vision. Setting goals also means your relationship have a direction and destination, are you and your partner going toward marriage or you are having a open relationship,these things should be talked about. Just make sure you and your partner are in alignment. To avoid the feeling of regret in the relationship.
Trust is undoubtedly one of the most important thing in any relationship, talk less of a long distance relationship. Trusting your partner means you can rely on your partner in any situation, you have confidence in them and they make you feel safe.Can you trust your partner, if no then there is a big problem.
You must not talk everyday:
Yes, communication is the key but it is not a must for all long distance relationship couples to talk everyday, spend some days apart so that they will be a lot to catch up on when you talk again. It makes communication more interesting and fun.
Learn to be tolerant:
Remember nobody is perfect, we are all trying to achieve that perfection, so give your partner a break, when he/she makes mistakes instead of lashing out or not talking to him/her for days, try to talk things over for the relationship to grow.
Try new things that both of you enjoy:
Do things that both of you enjoy together, instead of texting, voice calls and video calls engage in new things like sexting, it helps to keep the excitment in the relationship, play online games, watching a new show together sending each other surprise gifts, sending a snail mail, planning a virtual date night.
Have your alone time:
Do things you actually enjoy as a person, make new friends, and try out new things, don't put your life on hold because you are in a long distance relationship.
Do's and don't in a long distance relationship:
- Do make time to communicate with your partner.
- Do trust and support your partner decisions.
- Do take time to visit your partner: the importance of visits in a long distance relationship can not be overemphasized,visit your partner whenever you have the chance even though it is not planned.
- Do take time to express your love to your partner either by sending romantic goodmorning, midday or goodnight messages to your partner, it makes your partner know that you think of them constantly.
- Do take time to exchange gifts: sending and receiving gifts often shows that your partner still thinks of you and remember your favorites, whenever you receive a gift from your partner do not forget to reciprocate the love.
- Do plan virtual dates: planning a virtual fancy date night can help to keep the excitement in the relationship, it may involve playing a game together, watching a film, sharing recipes, cooking or eating a meal together.
- Don't keep resentment towards your partner for a long time, it slowly kills the relationship.
- Don't be too jealous in the relationship, learn to trust your partner.
- Don't flake out on the relationship because you feel it is not working out, believe in the relationship.
- Don't rely on social media or technology, do creative communication like snail mail.
- Don't stop the conversation: always find a way to keep the conversation going, it helps to keep the relationship alive.
- Don't take time spent together for granted: cherish and make good use of the time you and your partner spend together.