Saying Happy Birthday to an Online Friend
This hub is dedicated to a very special friend on her birthday (today) -
People – humans – need friends; they don’t need enemies. This is an indisputable fact. The challenge is to establish meaningful friendships.
Some profound quotes :
- A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. - Jim Morrison
- A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same. - Elbert Hubbard
- One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- A friend should be one in whose understanding and virtue we can equally confide, and whose opinion we can value at once for its justness and its sincerity. - Robert Hall
- “Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. - George Washington
Life Balance Diagram
Question: Do you set a high value on online friends?
- Perhaps because I am a writer, preferring the written word above the spoken word,
- perhaps because I am more able to express my thoughts and ideas in writing,
- perhaps because my daily schedule is overloaded with responsibilities and activities of al sorts, leaving me with no decent hours left to socialize with friends,
- perhaps because I am too lazy to keep myself respectable and receptive for face-to-face interactions,
- perhaps because most people are too busy taking care of their responsibilities to spend quality time with friends,
- perhaps because TIME is truly relative in cyberspace - The moment I write a message to a friend, becomes the moment they read my message. The next moment they reply, becomes the moment I read their reply. As if the time in between is non-existing.
I prefer online friendships.
Question: Tell me about your online friendship(s)
According to this quote:
“Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. - George Washington
I have many online friends, but only a few, and especially one, intimate friendships....
Question: Who is this specific person with whom you are intimate online - or shall I rather ask with whom you share all your personal thoughts?
You should know the precession of our friendship:
When I entered cyberspace for the first time in the beginning of 2010, I - who tend to trust every Dick, Tom, Harry, Joan, Jenny and Ann - immediately became the victim of a con-artist - and let me rather not spoil this special interview with any detail about that particular punk. Fact is I have survived and I have promised myself never to allow any e-mail messages from strangers again, but only interaction on public sites where con-artists and bullies can be identified and eliminated before they get a chance to invade my personal space.
But practising courteousness and discreteness online and not being able to share my personal thoughts with fellow-writers, I felt alone and insecure. I realized that I needed the true opinions of friends – opinions they will never give "in public".
upset because I have lost my temper online for all to "see", I received a message in my inbox:
I've been thinking about you and wanted you to know I am always here if I can help with anything. I think we have much in common. I think we are both amazingly resilient as survivors of our own stuff.
All my love & always here for you,
Maria (marcoujor aka Maria Couchara Jordan)
So nice of you to reach out to me like this. Most of us writers have much in common – sensitive souls, inquisitive minds, emphatic hearts, memories of too many traumas...
I am sorry for the ripples I have made in there, but I know I am not unrealistic and not irrational. I know I blew that gasket on behalf of many others.
I appreciate your concern.
Take care, and thanks again for your kindness.
And so Maria Jordan aka marcoujor became my best friend – my online sista. She lives thousands of miles away from me; I will never get the opportunity to hug her. Yet she lives in my computer and boots and all inside my mind and heart.
With Maria in my life I am able to believe in my own convictions. With her in my life I cannot develop crooked perceptions and perspectives, because her opinions keep mine in balance.
Maria Jordan aka Marcoujor
Maria Jordan aka marcoujor
Today – 27 November - is Maria’s birthday.
My dearest Maria, may you have a wonderful day and only the best of peace, happiness and good health onwards.
My gift to you is 7 Abhanga poems on a staff.
Abhang or abhanga (Marathi: अभंग) is a form of devotional poetry sung in praise of the Hindu god Vitthala. The word "abhang" comes from -
- a for "non"
- bhang for "ending" or "interrupting"
Abhang: No Ending.... No Interrupting....
A staff (or stave) is the system of five horizontal lines on which musical notes are written.
In traditional music theory within the English-speaking world, pitch classes (notes) are represented by the first seven letters of the Latin alphabet (A, B, C, D, E, F, G).