- Gender and Relationships»
- Romantic Intimacy
Intimacy Quiz: What Is Your Sex Type
Do You Know Your Sex Type?
We all have a sex type. Knowing yours can result in a hotter, happier time in bed. I bet you know what kind of worker you are, what kind of friend you are, what kind of girlfriend you are, and what kind of family member you are. But what kind of sex partner are you? To get to the bottom of your bedroom personality, read on, and never be in the dark again - unless you are naked of course!
You are an "Indiana Joan" if...
- Sex for you is all about the adventure - the crazier the location the better
- You don't have to think twice about making the first move, even with someone new
- You have tried mile-high, reverse cowgirl, or maybe even mile-high reverse cowgirl
How to make sex better: If you are with a fellow intrepid explorer, you're probably enjoying the kind of hookups that legends (or at least Penthouse letters) are made of. Is it fun? Definitely. But if public play is the only kind of sex you are having, you might want to check your motives. Are you thrill-seeking as a way to avoid intimacy? "Variety is great - it heightens adrenaline," says Logan Levkoff, Ph.D., sexologist and author of Third base Ain't What It Used To Be. "But meaningful, connected sex is important too, because as relationships develop, there will be times when going wild isn't an option." (eighth month of pregnancy, or even a weekend at your parent's house) "That's when you'll have to make it work in other ways," Levkoff adds. If you always pounce on your guy, let him make the first move and set the tone. If you are used to shouting and moaning, challenge yourself to be as quiet as a mouse. Surprisingly difficult - and sexy!
You are a "Romance Addict" if...
- Your bedroom is full of candles, scented oils and high-thread-count sheets...Well, okay, maybe it looks like the set of The Bachelor
- The idea of having sex at a dive bar turns you on just about as much as the stomach flu
- You have picked out your honeymoon spot before you have found yourself a guy
How to make sex better: There are several ways to indulge your inner Cupid that do not involve installing mood lighting. Consider steady eye contact for a guaranteed connection. "I know men can be turned off by all the frills," says Margot M., 27, a graphic designer from New York City. "But for the few who have put on soft music and invested in a few votives, it has really paid off." So be sure to let your guy know what is in store if he gets on board the romance train, and then watch the throw pillows fly!
You are a "Thinker" if...
- You are too shy to share your fantasies-even with a guy you really love
- You thought the whole Meg Ryan "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yessss!" scene in When Harry Met Sally...was way over the top
- You are filled with worry if he doesn't come, and you think "Did I do something wrong?"
How to make sex better: Nobody is saying you have to install a stripper pole in your bedroom or start screaming like a porn star, but letting loose just a little - with somebody you trust - can be so very worth it. What, you ask, is the payofff for acting out of character? He will get a better sense of what works for you, and you will get...more of what works for you! Start by saying, "It feels so good when you (fill in the blank)," then share one of your inner fantasies, maybe just a setting that turns you on. Kerner Ph.D., a sexologist and the author of She Comes First says "Fantasy goes a really long way in terms of helping people relax." Bonus: Sex will get better for him too. If you are more vocal, he will be more comfortable sharing every little moan. There will be no more worrying about what he is thinking. You know he likes it, just enjoy yourself.