Love God and Sleep Naked
My favorite advice
Whenever I go to a wedding, I am asked to leave a special message or advice to the bride and groom either on video or in written form. For years I left the usual, “health, happiness and long life” wishes for the new couple. But that isn’t advice is it? What do you tell a couple to help them endure the pervading and rampant divorce statistics? It seems we live in a time where when life gets tough, we just bail out. Doesn’t love last? Is there nothing to really help couples today? Well I have a few thoughts on that, but how can you leave a sermon on a bride video when the videographer really only wants you to say something quick? How do you put great advice in a few words? It was a problem I faced often since my husband is a minister and I go to a lot of weddings.
I want to leave great advice and just didn’t know how to do it. About a decade ago that changed. I remember I heard someone say just 5 words and they made so much sense to me I have been using them ever since. My wish, my advice for every married couple is just 5 words: Love God and Sleep Naked.
The first response to this is to laugh. Most people think it is a joke of some sort and look for the punch line. It’s just too short to be for real. But like Horton the Elephant (Dr. Seuss), I meant what I said and I said what I meant. Here is why.
- No matter what your faith or belief system this says it all.
- It is after all, a commandment.
- Loving God takes you outside yourself and your own selfish desires.
- Loving God asks for you to consider the bigger picture and a higher power.
- and faith cause you to become part of a group of believers who become your support system in difficult times. Seeking God
- Prayer to God helps whenever you are feeling down and helpless.
- God is real and loves you, and wants to help support your marriage.
- God after all, created marriage and knows how to make it work.
- Pascal’s wager:
In the 17th century a French philosopher and mathematician, (1623-1662), took a sabbatical from teaching in order to refute Christianity. He set out to prove that the Bible was not true. When he returned he presented Pascal’s wager, a bet with your life or rather your eternity. Basically his wager when something like this: If God does not exist and you live your life as though God does not exist, when you die and you discover that you were right all along: you win NOTHING. If however you discover that you were wrong and therefore you have lost: EVERYTHING. On the other hand if God does exist and you live your life as though God does exist, when you die and you discover that you were right all along: you win EVERYTHING. If however you discover that you were wrong and therefore you have lost: NOTHING. Blaise Pascal
In light of Pascal’s wager, it really does seem logical even mathematical to consider the existence of God and live life with Him and His commandments in mind.
Read the Bible
How beautiful are your feet in sandals. O queenly maiden! Your rounded limbs are like jeweled chains, the work of a master hand. Your body is like a rounded goblet in which no mixed wine is wanting.— Song of Solomon 7:1-2, Amplified Version of the Holy Bible
Best Friends Forever
- When you marry, you belong to your spouse and your spouse belongs to you.
- You should always be available to meet your spouse’s needs.
- It is impossible to stay in a silly spat when you are skin to skin with your spouse.
- There is a oneness to marriage, a level of intimacy that sleeping naked promotes.
- There is a sense of spontaneity to the love making when you are naked.
- Sleeping without clothes is very healthy.
- Sleeping naked allows your skin to breath unobstructed.
- There is something very freeing and peaceful about sleeping free of clothes.
- You tend to sleep longer and deeper without clothes.
- You rarely awaken with a nightshirt strangling you like a tunicate when sleeping naked.
- Doctors advocate sleeping naked for health.
- Sleeping nude even has it’s own website.
- Studies show that sleeping naked helps you to more completely and immediately relax.
Do you ever sleep in the buff?
In light of all the ways that marriages can fail, these 5 words make so much sense to me that I have even thought of having them carved on my headstone when I die. What greater legacy to give people that the insight of how to succeed in marriage with just 5 small words?
Live joyfully with the wife whom you love all the days of your vain life which He has given you under the sun. For that is your portion in this life and in your work at which you toil under the sun.— Ecclesiastes 9:9, Amplified Version of the Holy Bible