Maid/Matron of Honor: Their Wedding Duties!
What Does the Maid/Matron of Honor Do?
The maid or matron* of honor is the bride's closest relative or dearest friend. Her job is to assist the bride throughout the wedding-planning process--running errands for her--helping her to select her gown, etc. Basically, she's at the bride's beck-and-call.
She should be a help to the bride both emotionally and physically.
The bride may have two maids or matrons' of honor, or one of each.
* The matron of honor is a married woman.
The Maid/Matron of Honor: Their Duties!
1. The maid/matron of honor hosts a shower for the bride (which may be done in conjunction with the other bridesmaids).
2. On the wedding day: she assists the bride in dressing; and helps pack and prepare for the honeymoon; she keeps the groom's ring for the bride; she signs all pertinent documents as a witness.
3. During the ceremony, she holds the bride's bouquet and keeps her dress and train in order; and afterward, stands in the receiving line.
4. She may also give a toast at the reception, although not traditional or required.
Maid/Matron of Honor: Financial Responsibility
1. The maid/matron of honor hosts the bride's bridal shower, which may be done in conjunction with the other bridesmaids.
2. They are responsible for providing a shower gift (small, if they're hosting the shower) for the bride, and a wedding gift for the bride and groom.
3. They are responsible for all travel and lodging expenses to and from the wedding.
4. They are responsible to pay for their wedding attire, including undergarments and shoes and accessories.
Moral of the Maid/Matron of Honor Story: Weddings are expensive for these attendants.
CAUTION: If your prospective maid/matron of honor is financially strapped, you need to have a blunt conversation with them about their financial duties--and if they can or can't afford the responsibility. You don't want to cause your best friend undue hardship... Or, you can help by buying their bridal attire and/or paying for their travel and lodging expenses.