My Wedding Toast To My Son
Time To Celebrate
No event deserves a celebration more than finding a partner in love and life. When the bridegroom’s mother takes the stage, her toast to her son is born from her desire to share his joy, and to tell the world how proud her son’s achievement has made her feel.
Her toast is based on her devotion to her son, not any speech format she has studied.
This was my only son. I was his only parent at the wedding. I wanted my child to begin his new life with the assurance that he had done the right thing to marry the girl he loved; and that he had my blessing for a life of joy and success.
I had four goals for my short speech:
- Say something funny that he and his wife would remember (something like mentioning a parallel between him and the British prince);
- Establish my pride in his manly decision;
- Extend a family welcome to his wife;
- Predict future joy and success for the new couple.
My Wit and My Welcome
"During the first half of 1982 photographers focused on Diana, Princess of Wales and her pregnancy. During that same time, I was also pregnant and wondered why photographers were not focusing on me. It took me a while to figure out the minute difference:
- Her son was her first child;
- My son was my second.
"Both Diana’s son and mine grew into manhood. In November 2010, photographers focused on her child because he gave a unique engagement ring to the woman he loved. In that same month, my son also gave a unique engagement ring to the woman he loved. This time, I didn’t care about the photographers because Facebook gave my son and his fiancée all the publicity they could handle.
"I am not completely surprised that the photographers show up today. It doesn’t even matter that they are not focused on me. My son, though not born a prince has grown into a king. Today he has broken ground for the kingdom he will establish for him and his beautiful queen, whom I am happy to welcome into our family."
Bride and Groom
My Pride and Joy
"The pride I feel is no less than the pride of a royal mother.
- Having witnessed you my son, walk down the red carpet of honor toward the responsibility of manhood, my heart is full of joy.
- Watching you declare your vows to cherish, protect and provide for the virtuous woman you chose, I couldn't be more happy.
- My only regret is that the camera may not capture the pride and joy in my heart."
My Hope and Prayer
"I have complete confidence that with the united prayers of you and your wife, along with the supportive prayers of your mother, you will fulfill your duties as the husband of a godly and happy home.
"Son, just let the face of your wife always be the image of love for you; and Daughter, let the face of your husband always be the image of love for you. When either of you speak or hear the word “love,” let the face of the other be the face that you see.
"The only other image appropriate for you both to visualize when you think of love, is the image of God holding you together within the arms of His excelling love. You both know how to rely on Him for the strength that it takes to follow through the commitment you made today.
"Of course, when my grandchildren are born, they will increase your love – not subtract from it; so the more children you have, the more love you will have for each other. Please don’t get carried away!
"I love you both. You can count on my prayer that (according to the sentiments of the old wedding prayer),
God will give you
- enough tears to keep you tender,
- enough hurts to keep you humane,
- enough of failure to keep your hands clenched tightly in His,
- and enough success to make you sure you belong to Him."
Please Raise Your Glasses
"'When a son finds true love, a mother finds true joy.' Here’s to the new couple’s joy—and mine— from this day forward!"
Related Marriage Articles by MsDora
- Six Great Bible Verses for Virgins
Some are nonchalant about virginity but there are still hundreds who value it. They can find empowerment for their moral posture in the following six Bible verses from the Song of Songs.
- Poem and Prayer Dedicated To My Daughter In Law
"Easy To Love" is dedicated to my daughter-in-law. "So I thank God when I count my blessings For the gifts He sends from above. . . For His special gift to my son and me- A woman so easy to love."
- Ten Principles of Marriage For Newlyweds
These principles of marriage for newlyweds originate from the highest Source of Wisdom, the One most capable to provide a lifetime of joy. They are the foundation of a happy, healthy marriage.
© 2011 Dora Isaac Weithers