Online Dating and How to Do it Safely
Safe Online Dating Steps
Online dating can be very scary in today's world. Especially if you are a woman. Having a set list of steps and rules to follow will help you in proceeding with both caution and excitement.
Steps to take
1) Make a good, specific but not too specific profile for yourself. Meaning "likes long walks" is great but "likes long walks down shaded paths in national parks" is just more information than is needed.
2) Include a variety of images of yourself. Don't be afraid to show a real life photo, no make up, frumpy clothes, etc. That is the real you after all and anyone you want to be in a lasting relationship with will see you like more than all dolled up.
3) Know what you are looking for in a potential mate. Look for those in profiles but be careful not to discount someone based solely on their photos (more often than not they are photo shopped) or on their content as some people just aren't good at writing about themselves.
4) Be smart when you speak to new people. Have a set of rules and follow them!!
a)speak online for a while first. See if you really like them before giving out personal information
b) if they pass step "a" exchange phone numbers. Speak over the phone for a while first to really get to know each other
c) if they pass step "b" set up a public place to meet. Drive yourself and make sure someone (a family member or friend) know where you are going and who you are meeting with.
5) Don't be easily discouraged. Not all online dating goes well or as planned but it does work, it just takes patience.
How do I know this? I met my current husband on Plenty of Fish. I had only 6-7 online dates and was disappointed with them all. I had passed by my husband's profile several times and had messaged him due to the content of his profile (all slang words and drag racing) but finally did send him a message. He too had seen my profile but had not messaged me as he had made an assumption when seeing one of my photos I had listed. You see there has to be room to make you own decision about people and online dating was one of the best things I have ever done in my life. I never thought I would be so loved and cared for but here I am, living proof that it can work.
Give it a shot, what do you have to lose? Just be safe and smart and try to have fun.
Almost 40 and Lovin It