Parenting Plan for Young Children: The Importance of Parenting Journals
Child custody is decided in the courts based on what is in the child’s best interest. If you believe that your your current parenting plan for young children needs revised, you must be prepared to support your assertions with documented reasons.
Parenting journals are one of the best ways to record key aspects on your relationship with your children and to keep track of any positive and negative issues in their lives. Ideally, parents can come to an amicable agreement on what is best for their children, and tailor their parenting plan to fit each child’s age and development. Whether there is conflict on the details or your parenting plan for toddlers no longer fits your growing children, revising a parenting plan can be made easier when you keep a comprehensive parenting journal.
Among the topics to include in your parenting journal are:
- Pick-up and drop-off times and dates
- Instances where you were late and reasons why
- Overview of how you spend your time with your children
- Attempts to communicate with the other parent, especially if unsuccessful
- Behavioral issues with your children that are out of the ordinary
- Concerns you have about school, friends or other aspects of your children’s lives
- Violations of child custody orders by the other parent
- Anything that can rebut negative accusations against you
It only takes a few minutes each day to record parenting information that may be useful when it comes time to revise your parenting plan for young children, especially custody issues. Even if you have an excellent memory and feel like you can recall events, dates and times, a clear and concise parenting journal will solidify any claims you make.
Custody X change child custody software offers a comprehensive parenting plan template, visual schedule and an electronic parenting journal that makes keeping track of your parenting time easy. Custody X Change keeps your parenting journal organized and easy to read. It will even print your notes out into a report to present as needed.