- Gender and Relationships»
A Common Pick-Up-Line Scenario
What Are Pick-Up-Lines?
The term pick-up-line has become so popular and well known it has found a place in many modern dictionaries. It is a fun way of making an introduction, especially when attempting to be flirtacious. Often it used to start a conversation with a stranger, but it is also used to try to change a relationship between two people. Such as a person asking an acquaintance on a date. Whether a pick-up-line is used by a stranger, a coworker, or a friend, one thing is certain. Pick-up-lines are used by people everywhere all the time. They range from funny to flattering, to somewhat corny or somewhat perverse. Plus, the term is used so freely and is so well known in modern times, it’d be difficult to even find out its origin.
A Great Definition of a Pick-Up-Line
So what exactly is a pick-up-line? Although the term is technically slang, it has become so well known and used it is found in many modern dictionaries. This is a Wikipedia definition, the best one I've found.
A pick-up line is a conversation opener with the intent of engaging an unfamiliar person for romance, or dating. Overt and sometimes humorous displays of romantic interest, pick-up lines advertise the wit of their speakers to their target listeners.
Let the Pick-Up-Line Extravaganza Begin!
I'd like to start off with a very interesting article I found about pick-up-lines that would be used throughout history.
Pick-up lines throughout history
Adam to Eve: -"You think THAT'S a serpent..."
Noah:- "I've got an ark that'll make you flood!"
Ancient Egypt- "You must be the eighth wonder of the world!"
"If I could change the alphabet, I would put 'V' and 'I' together."
"Your palace looks like it could use a sturdy column."
"You could set any chariot on fire!"
Ye Dark Ages
"The plague is devouring me alive! Won't you?"
"Ignorance is bliss and so art thee."
"Got a light?"
"My heart burns like a witch for you."
"I've got the 'thanks' ready, if you'll do the 'giving.'"
The Civil War- "United we stand, divided we fall...catch my drift?"
(Southern belles only) "Won't you be my love slave?"
Prohibition- "Can I buy you a...uh...ginger ale?"
The Great Depression- "Unlike the stock market, I never crash at my peak.
McGibboney., Ian . "Pick Up Lines Throughout History." Not Right About Anything. N.P., 13 June 2006. Web. 20 Nov. 2013. <http://ianmcgibboney.blogspot.com/2006/06/pick-up-lines-throughout-history.html>.
The Most Common Used Pick-Up-Lines
These pick-up-lines are the most well known overused cliches.
Top 21 Most Common Pick Up Lines
- "I'm no Fred Flintstone, but I bet I can make your bed rock."
- “Somebody better call God ‘cause I found his missing angel.”
- "I lost my virginity! Can I have yours?"
- “Screw me if I'm wrong, but is your name Shaniqua?”
- “You must be Jamaican, because Jamaican me crazy.”
- “Are your legs tired? Because you’ve been running through my mind all day.”
- “Hi my name is _______, remember it, cause you'll be screaming it all night long.”
- “Was that an earthquake or did u just rock my world?”
- “Do you have a band-Aid? Because I just scraped my knee falling for you.”
- “Do you believe in love at first site, or should I walk past you again?”
- “Did it hurt? When u fell out of Heaven?”
- “If I could rearrange the alphabet, I would put U and I together.
- “Are you a parking ticket? 'Cause you've got fine written all over you.”
- “I don't have a library card, but do you mind if I check you out?”
- “Are you from Tennessee? Because you're the only ten I see!”
- “Do you know karate? Because your body is really kickin.”
- “Well, here I am. What were your other two wishes?”
- “On a scale of 1 to 10, you're a 9. I'm the 1 you need.”
- “I hope you know CPR, cuz you take my breath away!”
- “Hello. Cupid called. He says to tell you that he needs my heart back.
- “You know the more I drink, the prettier you get!”
More Overused Pick-Up-Lines
Readers What Do You Think?
What is the Most Commonly Used Pick-Up-Line?
I Dub These Pick-Up-Lines The WORST
These pick-up-lines I consider the worst because they are either too perverse, inappropriate, or just really cheesy.
Top 23 Worst Pick Up Lines
- “Do you have a map? Because honey, I just keep gettin’ lost in your eyes.”
- “My love for you is like diarrhea, I just can't hold it in.”
- "Nice legs; what time do they open?"
- "You look just like a swan. You have skinny legs but a fat butt.
- "I'll give you a nickel to tickle my pickle."
- “Just call me milk, I'll do your body good.”
- "I'm like a Rubik's Cube. The more you play with me, the harder I get."
- “Hey baby, you've got something on your butt - my eyes!”
- "Was your dad a cement mixer? Because you are making me hard."
- “I’m like the energizer bunny babe I keep going and going.”
- “Stop, drop, and roll, baby. You are on fire.”
- “If your left leg was Thanksgiving and your right leg Christmas, can I visit you between the Holidays?”
- “Was your dad a farmer? Cause you sure have great melons.”
- “I love every bone in your body - especially mine.”
- “Did you sit in a pile of sugar? Cause you have a pretty sweet butt.”
- “Did you have lucky charms for breakfast? Because you look magically delicious!”
- “Your daddy must have been a baker, because you've got a nice set of buns.”
- “That outfit looks good on you. So would I.”
- “If I told you that you had a great body, would you hold it against me?”
- “That dress would look great on the floor next to my bed.”
- “Girl, if I were a fly, I'd be all over you, because you're the shit!"
- “That shirt is very becoming on you. Although if I were on you I'd be coming too.”
- “Someone call the ‘Po-Po!’ It’s gotta be illegal to look that good.”
What Do You Think Readers?
What Is the Worst Pick-Up-Line of All Time?
My Top Ten Best/Funniest Pick-Up-Lines.
These pick-up-lines are almost perfect. Some are sweet, others are funny and interesting. I feel they are neither too perverse, corny, or cliché.
Top 10 Funniest Pick Up Lines
- "How much will a 20 get me?”
- "Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform?"
- "The doctor's pretty sure the antibiotics worked this time."
- Let’s do some math together babe. Add a bed, subtract the clothes, divide your legs and pray you don't multiply."
- “Wanna play carnival? Sit on my face and I guess how much you weigh.”
- “If you're going to regret this in the morning, we can sleep until the afternoon.”
- “If we shared a garden I’d put my tulips and your tulips together.”
- “Wish you were a Pony Carousel outside Walmart, so I could ride you all day long for a quarter.”
- “Wanna Play House? You be the screen door and I'll slam you all night long.”
- “Do you have a mirror in your pocket? Because I can see myself in your pants.”
What Do You Think Readers?
Which Pick-Up-Line Do You Think Is the Funniest?
These are simply just a couple more fun and original different types of pick-up-lines.
Now we've seen all types of pick-up-lines, so next I want to introduce "come backs." I would best describe a "come back" as a response to a pick-up-line. Many people after receiving an inaproppriate, perverse, or corny pick-up-line, and want to shut down any more attempts at conversation from the person, they will use a "come back." Below I've found and shared some of the best "come backs."
I'll Conclude With Two More Pick-Up-Lines and Their "Comebacks."
© 2013 Amber