7 Qualities of a Good Partner
One major decision we all have to make in life is the choice of a partner. It is so crucial because this is the person you will spend the most part of your life with. You don't have the privilege to chose who your Parents, Siblings and Children will be. The only relation you get to chose is the one you will get married to. This choice will influence your entire life; your finance, your success, your health and even your relationship with others.
So when choosing a marriage partner, you should consider someone who:
1) Shares your Beliefs: This does not only include religious beliefs. It includes every kind of life's beliefs including Social, Cultural, Financial and Marital beliefs. Beliefs are a very important part of someone's life. As a matter of fact, it is our beliefs that shape our life. Your partner is what they believe in. If your partner does not share the same beliefs as you do, then you won't be able to live with them for such a long time as forever.
2) Has a Teachable Spirit: Is he or she willing to learn? Is it easy for them to adapt? Do they adhere to the instructions their superiors give to them? If a person has only a few good qualities, you have very little to worry about as long as they are teachable. Once someone refuse to be teachable, they may have covetable qualities, but they won't be able to acquire new ones. Run from people like this.
3) Is Accountable: Accountability is one quality that have saved me a lot of headaches in life. It helps you avoid unnecessary mistakes. You must check if that man or woman is accountable to their superiors; Parents, Pastor, close Friends and even Employer. More importantly, he or she has to be accountable to you (same way you should be accountable to them too). You should be able to reveal your plans with each other before execution. Anyone that hide things from you and others cannot be trusted and hence cannot make a good partner.
4) Forgives: Understand that nobody is without flaws. There are days when you will mess up big time. You need to be sure he/she will be able to forgive you anytime you make them angry. It might be difficult to judge if someone forgives in the early stage of a relationship if you don't pay close attention. Check how they treats people that offend them. Do they keep malice and hold grudges? If they do not forgive others, your case won't be any different in the long run.
5) Has Integrity: Do they do what they say? If they make promises, do they keep it? Are they sorry when they are wrong? If there is an opportunity to be just a little fraudulent, do they take such opportunities? Don't marry someone who cannot keep his or words. They aren't trustworthy and will definitely not make good partners.
6) Loves God: This is one quality I like talking about, and here is why. God is an invisible being. Anyone who can love him without seeing him will love you even when there is a distance. Secondly, it appears as if God allows us have some difficult experiences that he could have simply averted. Anyone who can still love a God that appears to be that way will love you even with your flaws. There are better reasons why you should marry someone who loves God. Those two are just my personal reasons.
7) Is a Giver: The world revolves around giving and receiving, sowing and reaping. If you stick to someone who does not give, you both will remain stagnant for the rest of your lives. As a woman, if your partner does not include you and others in his budget, then he might just be the last person you want to settle with. Even if he earns just a few hundred dollars monthly, there should be a percentage of that income that they won't use for themselves.
Notice that none of the above qualities are physical. Many people have missed it in marriage because they focus only on physical qualities of their partner. If good looks can sustain a marriage, we would have more Happy Marriages than broken ones.
© 2018 David Olubodun