Why do people stay in Sexless Marriages
Celibate Marriage - Reasons for Staying in Sexless Marriages
A sexless marriage is a marriage in which little or no intimacy occurs between the two partners. Many couples may not admit it openly but if surveys have to be believed over 30% of the marriages are sexless. While sex is said to increase the bond between couples many couples are perfectly okay without it. Some times both the partners may not be interested in being intimate. But if one partner longs for intimacy and the other do not then it can lead the other to cheat on the spouse or have a miserable condition which involves feelings of rejection, frustration and confusion.
A celibate relationship can be a happy one too though it needs more work than a normal relationship. If the love is strong between the couples then even such a marriage would survive.
Is it worth staying in Sexless Relationships
or relationships may develop over time gradually. There can be several reasons
why people may stay in a Sexless Marriage or Relationship.
- Either one or both the partners are under tremendous stress which can be a mood killer for intimacy.
- You are aware that your spouse is cheating on you so keep away from him/her though you may stay together.
- Not everyone is sex crazy or may have huge appetites. Low level of sexual desire or lack of vitality can be a common cause of such marriage.
- Your Partner may withdraw your sexual privileges because of fights or arguments as an attempt to punish you.
- Busy schedule of either one or both of the partners also may result in a sexless marriage.
- Post pregnancy issues.
- Sometime abuse or rape can result in denying sex to spouse.
- The spouse is away from you due to job or other commitments.
- After a few years of marriage Sex has become a boring routine where one or both of the spouses may lose sexual desire towards his or her companion and the passion that once existed between the couples is no longer there.
- Sometimes Marriage is solely done for legal purposes, tax benefits or acquiring resident status like Green Cards maybe just an arrangement.
- Sometimes attraction towards the same sex can cause couples to ignore their spouses.
- Feeling physically unattractive or fear of inability to satisfy the partner can result in denying sex to the spouse.
- Diseases or medical conditions like Aids or erectile dysfunction may keep a partner away from spouse.
- Sometimes couples may have what may be termed an Open Marriage where even if they may not be having sex with own partners may be having it outside marriage.
What ever the reasons are many couples prefer to stay in the marriage than opt out of it because of children, financial reasons, society, legal or religious reasons etc. Many may agree that it takes tremendous courage to get out of a relationship even if they are not happy continuing in a sexless marriage. Instead they may prefer to cheat on the partner and keep the marriage on. Some guys even find it cheaper to keep the marriage than paying huge maintenance. But for majority of couples they prefer not to opt out of marriage just because it is a sexless marriage as some things are just worth more.
However, one cannot deny the fact that intimacy can make couples to be closer. If you wish to rectify your sexless marriage you need to talk to your partner about it, understand what caused your relationship to get to where it is today and take steps to make it better.