Relationship skills: What to do when your family member is going in wrong direction?
- Relationship skill: How to react in face of harsh criticism?
Relationship skill: How to handle criticism? Harsh criticism can make our lives difficult. We might try to run away but we finally realize we need to face it. Some simple steps to make things easier when faced with negative criticism.
- Relationship skill: How married couples can continue to enjoy everlasting love?
Relationship skill tips, how married partners can continue to enjoy the bliss of marriage. Simple strategies like giving yourself first priority and many more simple steps can help to make the relationship work with ease and flow.
Relationship skills: What to do when your family member is going wrong path?
Family is a strong unit and all the family members tend to know each other well. Husband, wife, children and extended family members in some case, talk and eat their food together. When there are so many people, there are bound to be some differences in their opinion.
Each member has a different perception and takes decision using his or her belief system and values. Sometimes, one family member is going on certain path and the other member thinks in his own mind that this path is wrong. He or she provides personal opinion and the other person is not willing to listen. This leads to frustration. What are the steps that family members can take to resolve such conflicts?
Listed below are few steps that can help to resolve such situations peacefully:
1. When one family member thinks that the other person is going wrong path, he or she need to stop and remember these things. We all have different belief systems and values. These belief systems determine our decision making. What could be the different belief system that the other person is holding, that is causing him or her to take different decision. Please note, that the decision that is wrong in his or her eyes, might be just a different decision and not technically wrong.
2. Once we can understand the reasoning, it is easier to solve the problem. Instead of asking the other person to change his action, we can just expose them to new information. If the new information is useful for them, they might change their belief system and their decisions accordingly.
3. We need to remember that if we try to push our thinking and decision on other family member, it will just cause the relationship to become distant. The other person might grudgingly obey in front of you or even refuse to listen to you next time. This will not be good for either of you in the long run.
4. What is the best solution? The simple and easy solution is to guide and not control others. When we provide our guidance, it is beneficial for the family member. It makes the relationship strong. All the family members feel connected and there is no negative feeling of manipulation or control.
These simple strategies can help families to cope and understand each other when one family member is doing something different which they might think as wrong. They can tolerate each other well. The difficult situations can be handled easily when we look deeper into the root cause of the problems and try to deal with them peacefully.