ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Steps For After Your K1-Fiance Visa Petition is Approved

Updated on October 31, 2016

The 90-Day Fiance

The K1 Visa is one way that a foreigner can marry an American citizen. The visa allows them to come to the US on a six month visa and upon arrival get married within 90 days. Upon landing, the foreigner with the visa has 90 days to decide to marry or not. If not, they go back home. If they get married, the file for a status change afterwards so they can stay another 2-3 years.

The steps below are ones for the Philippines, however, the sequence applies to any. If you are not in the Philippines, your medical, US Embassy, will be different locations but costs will be the same. Steps 3, 5, and 7, will be at different locations.

The following steps are those need to be done, in the order given, to accomplish the goal:

1. The US Petitioner calls National Visa Center to get your Case Number. It is suggested to call a week after NOA2 (your approval notice). +1 (603) 334-0700. This can take as long as 60 days.

After a case # is assigned, give to fiancé. They will now have to do the rest.

2. The Fiance tracks your case through the Consular Electronic Application Center or CEAC link. You will know if your case is already in your designated consulate in the foreign country. If you’re your case is READY, schedule interview. Link is:

3. Pay Visa fees at Bank of Philippines or other designated bank. Cost is 13000 peso in person and get receipt.

4. Once you’ve paid the K1 Visa Fee, you may now schedule your appointment online at the US Travel Docs (Philippines) website. Link is:

5. Medical exam at St. Lukes clinic (not hospital) in Manila. This stage can be completed in as short as one day (if you’re lucky). Normally it’s a two-day process. Waiting time is up to 1-4 weeks for appointment. Their website: prior to their visit is located at 1177 J. Bocobo Street, Ermita, Manila. They can be reached by telephone at (632) 521-0020 and (632) 521-8647. SLMCEC is open from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. It is best to arrive for your medical examination between 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. The medical exam fee is Php 11,300 for adults (15 years and older) and Php 8,600 for children (under 15 years of age).

The fees must be paid in Philippine pesos.

Bring the following to Med Exam:

DS-260 Confirmation Form (strongly recommended).

Appointment letter sent by the National Visa Center or an e-mail confirmation from the Visa Information and Appointment Service.

Appropriate medical examination fee.

Passport (valid for at least 6 months)

Three color pictures (2 inches x 2 inches) with a white background (two are for the visa and one is for the medical report).

6. Schedule Visa interview with US Embassy in Manila. Make sure you’re already done with the Medical and all your paperwork is in order before going in to your K1 Fiancé(e) Visa Interview. Allow 1 month wait from appointment date. After interview, wait 1-2 weeks to get your Visa from 2Go or other mail courier. Once Visa is approved, you can quit job. Use link in Step 4.

7. After Visa is delivered. All intending immigrants are required to undergo the seminar at Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO). 400 peso. Better best prepared with all your documents! Do this Manila or Cebu city.


4th Floor, K&J BDLG., #4 Don Julio Llorente St., Capitol Site, Cebu City, Philippines
Telefax: (032) 255-5253; E-mail:

9. Fly to your loved one! Get married. When in US, file for SSN card, report marriage to Philippine Consulate. Work permit is 2 month wait.

10. After marriage, file for Adjustment of Status to conditional for two years. Once approved, you can leave country. Cost is $1000 and 4-6 months wait time. Until approved, cannot leave USA unless Advance Parole is approved.


After you get married, you have to apply for her Green Card (aka Permanent Residence, Adjustment of Status). At this time, you must apply for her Advance Parole (USCIS Forms I-131).

It takes approx. 90 days to receive the Advance Parole Re-Entry Permit after filing. Your fiancé must have the Advance Parole Re-Entry Permit before she leaves the US for foreign travel and must present it to re-enter the US.

If your fiancé leaves the US without the Advance Parole Re-Entry Permit, she may be denied entry and the Green Card petition may be cancelled.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.