The Difference Between “loving” Someone and Being “in Love” With Someone
What is love? - A general outlook.
“When someone else's happiness is your happiness, that is love.”— Lana Del Rey
What is love? That is a question that we all ask ourselves at some point in our lives. But, love can be anything. Loving someone can often make you feel like you are invincible. Love can also make your palms sweaty and make your heartbeat grow ten times in speed. But, love can also be very scary. Love can be painful and loving someone can break your heart.
But, if that’s the case, then what exactly is love? According to Merriam - Webster dictionary, love is “A strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties.”
So, basically what the Merriam - Webster dictionary means is that love is simply the feeling that you get once you become fond of a person or thing that comes from the connection that you have with them. Anyone can love anything. You can feel love towards another person or you can feel love towards your pet - or even a car. Love comes in all shapes and sizes and nobody can really predict when love will happen for them next.
So, when does regular “love” start to turn into being “in love” with someone?
A lot of people cannot see the difference between loving someone and being in love with someone- but the difference is there.
Being “in love” with someone is a lot different than simply “loving“ someone as a person. Being in love means that you care about how a persons doing inside, being in love makes you want to see the other person grow, and being in love also means that you care for a persons well-being and that you want to see them do great things in life while just loving someone means that you simply just love the way they look like on the outside, you love they way they act around you, and you love being around them without actually getting to know who they really are as a person.
How to know the difference between “loving” someone and being “in love” with someone while you are in a relationship:
Types of love
How to tell the difference
Being “In Love”
- You want to always see them happy.
- They compliment your lifestyle.
- They care about your favorite things just as much as you do.
- They make your heart smile.
- You never want to be without them.
- You are willing and ready to make a lifelong commitment to them.
- You are never worried that they will cheat on you because you trust them with all of your heart.
- You think they are attractive.
- You care about their well-being but don’t feel the constant need to check on them if they are not responding to your calls or texts.
- You are obsessed with the way they make you feel but you know it’s only temporary.
- You constantly feel the need to make sure that people know that they “belong” to you.
- After a few months of dating, the feeling of excitement goes away.
Do you think that you know the difference between “love” and being “in love”?
The concept of love can be confusing at times, but just follow your heart and trust your gut and in the end, if it’s not meant to be with someone, then you will know. And, If someone is the right person for you, then you will know that too. But whatever your journey is in your quest to find love right now, I wish you nothing but the best and hope that you can someday find someone that makes your heart absolutely flutter with joy.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Delilah Kay