- Gender and Relationships»
- Relationship Problems & Advice
Things to know about one-sided love
Why does it have to be one-sided love?
I have known people who simply loves another even if the glaring fact is-the other person does not. One-sided love is what it is called. When I was younger, I often wondered why those people would chose to engage in such an emotional bind and go to such trouble as to love another who does not reciprocate the feeling. Back then, I thought, it would be downright stupid as such feeling would only mean one thing-heartbreak. And then, something happened. Cupid played his dirty trick on me-I found myself in the same predicament as those people. I was in a one-sided relationship with me doing all the loving,the giving, while the other person did no caring at all, simply receiving. I was happy while it lasted. Time flies, soon I moved on. But I never forgot the lesson. I know now why some people, myself included, enter into a one-sided love.
1. It's not expensive. Unlike in an official relationship between two persons, in a one-sided love there is no need to spend for the other person. It is not expected that you will buy chocolates, gifts, flowers for occasions like anniversaries, trips during holidays and the like. Besides, even if you spend a million, it is not a guarantee that the other person will like you, much more love you, anyway.
2. There is freedom. Unlike in a relationship where both people seem to have the right to nag and compel the person to have an undertime at work just so he can accompany you in your shopping, in a one-sided love, your time is yours to keep. You can spend it in whatever way you want. No need to ask permission on what dress to wear, what stuff to buy, who you want to be with, what show to watch on TV, and where you want to go.
3. No need to take care of the relationship.In a real relationship, commitment is a must. Loyalty is a must. Good memory is a must. In a one-sided love, you can look and admire someone else without being afraid of getting caught. You can forget her birthday and anniversary without feeling guilty.
4. No expectations. When it happened to me, I knew deep inside that he does not feel the same. I hoped but I did not expect him to love me back. After all, I cannot force him to do that, right? It was enough that I got to see him and get to talk to him at times. Besides, when you love, you must not expect anything in return. Otherwise, it would not be loving but investing.
5. Can be ended anytime. So true. In a real relationship, before one has to end the connection, some things are to be considered. Letting go of someone you really love is the hardest part in life but in a one-sided relation, you set your own pace. You can love him for as long as you want, but you can also end it anytime without the guilt that you might hurt him if you do.
6. The best part of a one-sided love is even if the other person did not love you back, you know that you love the person more than you thought you could.
In a one-sided love, it does not necessarily mean that the other person does not love you. It might be that he does not love you enough to make you happy. Or it might be that the other person loves you but is not yet ready to commit. Or it maybe that it is not one-sided after all but only that he is too proud or does not have the courage to admit to what he really feels.
Everything happens for the best. If the person you love doesn't love you back, it does not mean that no person would. Someday, someone would. Be patient. He will come when you least expect it.