Tips for a Successful Marriage: Treat your Husband more like your Dog
You love your dog unconditionally and you know you and he/she will be there for each other no matter what. Try treating your husband a little bit more like you treat your dog and I think you'll see a long happy marriage full of the same unconditional lifelong love!
7 Simple Tips:
1) Compliment him often. Every dog owner knows how much her pooch likes to be told he's a 'good boy' and gushed over when he does something well. But don't we all like to be complimented or told when we're doing a great job at something? Even if you think your husband knows you appreciate all of the things he does so well, he may not unless you tell him...Tell him often and enthusiastically!
2) Snuggle and pet him. Who doesn't like to nuzzle with their furry pet after a long day? As a matter of fact that's one thing that causes our dogs to bond with us so strongly - gentle touch cause us to release the hormone oxytocin (which experts say helps people/animals form emotional bonds with one another). A strong emotional connection is one of the hallmarks of a happy successful marriage and anything that not only makes me feel good but also increases my marriage's chance of lasting forever certainly sounds good to me!
3) Make time for him, even when you're tired. No matter how tired you are after a long day at work you would never consider not giving your dog a happy greeting at the front door, and if you're anything like me, you would never dream of skipping his evening walk or his pre-bed belly rub and brush either. When you/your husband get home from work drop everything you're doing and show him how excited you are to see him with just as happy of a greeting as you give your dog. And just because you may be tired don't skip out on the little things that make him happy, or cut back on showing you affection.
4) Feed him. This is a basic one for dogs - you pet pooch needs you to feed him or he'll starve. And check out how excited he gets every night at dinnertime! Your husband may be capable of feeding himself, but the same way your dog wags his tail in appreciation at the sight of a hot meal your husband will also feel loved, appreciated and secure if you can provide him with a good meal at the end of a long day. Even if sometimes it comes via takeout. ;o)
5) Invest some time in training. Everyone know that it takes time and training to teach a dog to sit, to have proper manners and basically to do the things that will keep him safe and make his human family happy. Well, obviously you don't want to train your husband to obey like a dog (well most of us don't at least!), but you do need to invest the time in telling him the things that are important to you. If you don't tell him he'll never know. And it also can't hurt to reward him with a 'treat' of some sort when he shows off what a good husband he is to you.
6) Make time for play. No dog has to think twice about this one, his whole life would be play if he had his choice. As hard as most people work make sure you also carve out time each week to play and relax - regardless of what that means for you. People are happier and healthier in all areas of their lives when they have time to relax and blow off steam. And what's better than doing that with the person you love?
7) Forgive him. Tempting as it is to hold a grudge, especially when you're really upset about something, if you truly love someone you can learn to let the little things go. Your dog may chew up your favorite pair of shoes or have an accident on your carpet but you don't hold it against him. You try to help him do better next time, and you move on, never withholding love or affection. So when your husband makes you mad (as he certainly will over the course of a lifetime) tell him calmly why you're upset and address the problem, then forgive him completely, move on and continue to give your love and affection freely.