- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
Wedding Planners/Bridal Consultants: Worth the Investment?
Wedding Planner: Should You or Shouldn't You?
Today's weddings are a major investment. The average cost, even in these hard times, is over $30,000. And that's a lot of money to spend on a four- to five-hour party...
If you were to invest $30,000 in the stock market, would you do so without the help of a professional? I think the analogy is the same when it comes to weddings.
If you're planning a wedding, it's always best to seek the help of a professional, for more reasons than one. First, unless you're an experienced party planner, I think a wedding could be more than intimidating. And second, a wedding happens only once. Make a mistake and you can't host one the following week.
Ask Yourself These Questions...
Examine the following scenarios to see if you might benefit from the services of a professional wedding planner:
* You and your fiancé have great jobs and are well budgeted for the wedding, but working like you do, you hardly have the time to plan a wedding.
Solution: Wedding planners alleviate stress, legwork, aggravation and save time.
* Your family lives out-of-town and is not able to help you, making for a very stressful situation.
Solution: Your wedding planner is there for you. Doing the job that your family members would have done.
* You're hosting a large wedding, 150 or more guests, and you’ve never planned one before.
Solution: it’s wise to hire a wedding consultant for their experience and expertise.
* You're having a large (100+ guests), semi-formal or formal, traditional, at-home wedding.
Solution: At-home weddings require tons of planning and work including hiring caterers, dance floors, linens, silverware, entertainment and decorations.... The list is endless. For these types of weddings, a consultant is a must!
* If you feel you can’t afford to make mistakes, or hire irresponsible vendors, or sign on the dotted line—not knowing if you’re protected--then a wedding consultant’s expertise is invaluable.
* You save money with a consultant. After all, they know the ins and outs of wedding planning, where to cut costs and how to save dollars.
The Great Denis Reggie, Speaks...
Denis Reggie is the world's foremost photojournalist. He's the one who photographed Carolyn Bessette's wedding to John F. Kennedy, Jr. and he has some relevant comments to make about wedding planners:
“One of the best things that has happened to our industry in recent years is the upsurge in the popularity of the wedding consultant. Brides are not professional brides and a wedding is, after all, a once-in-a-lifetime event (hopefully).
Brides are not experienced at interviewing florists, caterers, etc. and are well-served by the experience and expertise of the wedding consultant. A consultant knows a good photographer from a bad one. They know who will deliver the goods on time and who’s reliable. And since there are so many photographers today, it’s best that a bride hire a consultant who can help her make the right decision—based on knowledge, education and experience. And finally, consultants alleviate stress and enable couples to enjoy their day with family and friends.”
I couldn't have said it better myself!