- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
Bridal Shower Gift Ideas
Bridal Shower Invitation
History of the Bridal or Wedding Shower
Wedding or bridal showers became a custom that started in the 1890s. Back then most brides had a dowry provided by their families. In the United States the hope chest or trousseau was the custom. For brides to be that did not have a dowry for reasons of either being poor or perhaps their families did not approve of the wedding taking place, the bridal shower was a way to help in which friends and women would all get together and give gifts to compensate for the missing dowry.
At first, showers would be a casual event, usually held at the bride to be's home. Guests would come by at different times and drop in unannounced. It wasn't until the 1950s that games and themes started to be part of the bridal shower. Now a days you will find that showers can be anywhere from a simple get together to a lavish catered party.
"In extreme rural America, the term was used to describe the act of bathing the bride the day of the wedding to remove dirt and oils from the skin and hair."
Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
- Helen Keller
What does the bride to be need for the home?
Before making a purchase think about the person that you're buying the gift for and either ask yourself the following questions, or if you don't know the bride to be ask the person hosting the shower. Find out what she needs or what shemay like.
- Does she like to cook?
- What does she need for her kitchen?
- Does she have linens, blankets, bath towels?
- Does she have her china and crystal pattern picked out, and is she registered anywhere?
- Is the shower going to be a themed shower such as an all cookware shower?
- Find out her favorite colors, or if she has a specific color theme in mind for her home.
Gift ideas for the bride to be
Gifts for the kitchen
Gifts for the bath
Gifts for the bedroom
Other Gift Ideas
Pots and Pans
Oversized bath towels
Duvet or duvet cover
Guest book for the wedding
Shower curtain set
Bath mats or rugs
Cutlery and utensils
Art work such as paintings or prints
Radio alarm clock
Gift basket of bath accesories
Mixing bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons
Group Gift Ideas
Going together with other people to buy a large gift is quite common.
- A large appliance
- Luggage set for the honeymoon
- Gift basket filled with various items that couple may need on their honeymoon
- Tickets for a spa weekend away for the bride to be
- A gift certificate for a manicure and hair salon for the morning of the wedding day
- Kitchen items are always nice to assemble into a gift basket. For a bride to be that likes to bake you could gather many small items such as measuring cups and spoons together with mixing bowls, a rolling pin, pastry cutter, cooking timer, , pastry rolling sheet, cookie cutters, and a recipe book. The list is endless and you can get quite creative with a gift basket such as this.
- For the bathroom, rolled up towels, hand towels, and face cloths. Perhaps add some fancy soaps and candles to the basket.
- Go together with another guest and make up a basket.
Gift Baskets on Amazon
Wedding Shower Etiquette
Traditional Bridal Showers
Modern Day Bridal Showers
Definite no no's
Bridesmaids or Maid of Honor/Matron host the shower
Pretty much anyone can now host the shower
A bride never hosts her own shower
Only first time brides are to have a shower
Bridal showers are never frowned upon even if the bride has been married more than once
Only women attend a bridal shower
Now a days you will find both men and women attending bridal showers.
The shower is always a surprise
The bride can be told about the shower
Showers are held 4-6 weeks before the wedding
Can be held any time up to 2 weeks before the wedding
Invitations should be mailed out 4-6 weeks before the day of the shower.
Showers are usually held in the afternoon or evening
No longer time specific
Every guest is expected to bring a gift
Thank you cards should be mailed out as soon as possible
Not sending out thank you cards is rude.
- When attending a bridal or wedding shower try to be on time, especially if the shower is a surprise.
- If you're bringing along someone with you that wasn't on the guest list, be sure to contact the host of the shower to make sure that it is okay.
- Dress appropriately.
- Have fun and be sure to thank the host before leaving.
Bridal Shower Quiz
view quiz statistics
What do I Write in a Wedding Shower Card?
If you need some great ideas on what to write in a Wedding Shower card be sure to visit Sharyn's Slant.