- Gender and Relationships»
- Dating & Online Dating
What to Do on Date Night
Fun and Inexpensive Date Night Ideas
Date night. It’s an important part of building and strengthening any relationship. Whether you’re dating, engaged, or already married, having a regular date night gives the two of you the chance to enjoy that quality “together time” that’s so instrumental in bonding you as a couple. Plus it’s a chance to use all those cutsie nicknames you have for each other – you know, the ones that make everyone else gag or roll their eyes.
Yet these two words – “date night” – seem to inspire more feelings of stress than romance. Where should you go on date night? What should you do? How much should you spend? For whatever reason, these questions always seem to draw a blank mind. It’s not that you don’t know of any places to go on date night or anything to do, it just seems that nothing is worthy enough of a date night activity.
There’s this notion that date night activities should be perfect, and that the only way to make them perfect is to do something big and extravagant. That’s neither true nor practical, especially since you should try to make date night a weekly ritual. Date night is about spending time with each other, not about spending money on each other, and there are a number of ways to have fun without going over the top.
Date Night Activities
1. Tune in... to a good book. Yes, a book. Instead of the same old dinner and a movie, why not curl up on your own couch with your favorite take-out food and listen to an audio book together. Go for a spooky one and turn the lights down for added fun. Some libraries rent out audio books so be sure to check your local branch.
2. Strike out.. in a good way that is. Go bowling. Not only is it pretty cheap entertainment (you can usually bowl two games for around $30), but it gives you a chance to do a little flirtatious trash talking.
3. Take off… for an evening stroll to your local ice cream or coffee shop for something sweet (as long as it’s within a few miles of your home and doesn’t require you to walk along major roads). That way you won’t feel guilty about indulging, but the real treat will be the random and candid topics you’ll end up discussing along the route.
4. Dig in… to a homemade meal. Don’t go for just any homemade meal though. Why not try to recreate each other’s favorite restaurant dishes. They may not be exact replicas, but they’ll probably be healthier. Besides, cooking together is a great exercise in teamwork. (If you love stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut – here’s how you can make your own.)
5. Camp out… right on your living room floor. Lay a blanket down, have a seat, and enjoy some sandwiches, salads, and a few smooches. To add a little authenticity to the evening, why not toast some marshmallows – all you need is a large, unscented candle.
6. Lace up… some rental skates and take a few laps around the rink. You can’t help but bond and stay connected as you hold onto each other to keep from falling, which is really the reason people go ice skating (unless of course you’re actually good at it). Plus, at around $10 a person you’ll have more than enough left over to go for hot cocoa afterward. (This isn’t just a winter activity so check your local rink for their hours during warmer seasons.)
7. Settle down… to work on a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle. It’s actually a great way to enjoy those quiet moments where you can be together without having to say anything, and since you’re not likely to finish it in one night, it’s something you can stretch out over a couple of date nights. Plus, when you’re done you can seal the back with some puzzle glue (yes it does exist) and then mount it on the wall as a sweet reminder of the nights you spent working on it.
So there you have it. A few fun activities you can do on date night. Remember that no matter what the activity, the most important part is that you do it together.