ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

What to do next after arriving in the US with a K1 visa

Updated on December 8, 2012

K1 Fiancee/ Fiance Visa to Green Card

Once you (K1 visa holder) arrive in the US, the work is not over yet. The K1 visa is literally expired once you enter the US. Notice that in your visa it says " Entries (1)". Your visa is no longer in use except for some identification purposes. You are given a 1-94 card on your entry to the US, that is good for 90 days. Once that card expires, you must have done all the necessary paper work to extend the your stay. You are not allowed to work, get a drivers license (Check your local DMV) and travel outside the US just whenever you want. You have to....

  1. Get a marriage license. Some state may require SSN too to get a marriage license. Check.
  2. Get SSN. You can apply in 10 days after arrival in the US (depending on the state). Just go to the nearest SSA office with your passport and Birth Certificate but you can wait after the marriage so you do not have to come back to change your name into your husbands last name.
  3. Get married within 90 days. Very important.
  4. See a Civil Surgeon. Just fill out the first part of I-693
    (A lot of applicants were approved in AOS without seeing a civil surgeon but some received a RFE to it's your call if you would see them or not. If you could find someone who's just willing to transcribe the DS3025 into I-693 then it's fine. Just make sure you won't have to redo the entire medical exam. Your medical is still valid for 1 year.)
  5. File an AOS. Adjustment of Status. Should a K1 visa holder wishes to stay longer in the US beyond 90 days even after getting married, AOS is necessary to be not considered illegal/out of status. Some people took some time to file for an AOS after the marriage. Though it seems "okay" for them, it is highly discouraged.

I-485 AOS Requirements

  • - Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. For guidance how to answer it click here.
  • -2 Passport Size/Visa Photos with name and Alien Receipt # printed at the back.
  • - $1,070.00 (Total amount of $985 AOS filing fee and $85 biometrics fee) money order or check payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. No abbreviations except for "US". Yes, it doesn't have to be on a separate checks.
  • - Form I-797 Notice of Action (I-129F Approval Notice), form I-797C Notice of Action (I-129F Receipt Notice).
  • - Copy of Passport Biographical Page
  • - K1 Visa Page with Entry Stamp
  • - I-94 (front and back) Given on the plane and stamp at the airport upon arrival in the US
  • I-693 (again it's up to you if you want to see a Civil Surgeon)
  • - DS 3025 vaccination sheet (this was issued to you during the medical)
  • - G-325A form, Biographic Information Sheet
  • - Copy of the Birth Certificate.
  • - Copy of the marriage certificate and license.
  • - Form I-864, Affidavit of Support signed by the petitioner
  • - 1040 and W2 Year for 3 years of the petitioner
  • - Most recent bank statement of the petitioner
  • - G-1145

6. File for a work permit and advanced parole. K1 visa holders are NOT allowed to work and leave the US until the green card has arrived or have at least secured a permit.

Form I-765 (EAD Employment Authorization) and I-131 (AP Advanced parole)- a.ka. Combo card. Unlike AOS, these are optional but it will make things more secure and open for the beneficiary while waiting for the 2 year green card. Again, K1 visa holders are NOT allowed to work nor leave the US soil just whenever they wish. Working illegally may result to deportation while leaving the US without AP card will result to being barred from coming back in the US. You have to start all over with the visa process.

Clarification:Once your EAD expires but your GC has arrived, no need to renew the EAD/AP. Yor combo card will just serve as your flexibility and security ID so you could move around while waiting for the 2 year green card.

If you are going to file these papers together with AOS, filing fee would be free, so might as well fill out the paper.

  • -Form I-765 Employment authorization. For guidance how to answer it click here.
  • -Form I-131 Travel Document. For guidance how to answer it click here.
  • - (2) Passport Size/Visa Photos with name and Alien Receipt # printed at the back.
  • - Copy of Passport Biographical Page
  • - K1 Visa Page and Entry Stamp
  • - Copy of Marriage Certificate
  • - Copy of form I-94 ( front and back)
  • - G-1145

Mail them at

If mailing using U.S. Postal Service:

P.O. Box 5757
Chicago, IL 60680-5757

If mailing using USPS Express Mail/Courier:

Attn: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
131 S. Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • profile image


      3 years ago

      Are these separate? Like for example do I have to send 4 photos and 2 marriage certificates when filing for green card, advanced parole, and employment authorization in the same package?

    • profile image


      3 years ago

      Very helpful.

      I'd point out that a lot of women do not change their last name, so generalizations about the inevitability of changing one's name are unnecessary and unprofessional.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)