- Gender and Relationships»
Working wife vs. homemaker!
‘Sometimes when you are a great mom, you're not so great at your job. And then when you're good at your job, you're not so great of a mom or a good wife. It's a dance that never stops. But it's beautiful.’ –Gisele Bundchen
The debate whether a homemaker is better than a working wife or whether the working wife has an upper hand continues to this day. There is one section of people who say that family needs a woman to be at home to look after her husband and children, while there is another section of people who feel that a working woman can make her family more financially secure.
A homemaker feels that a working woman is very lucky to escape the tiredness of doing the never ending household chores. But a working woman has a different story to tell! She feels that a homemaker has all the time in the world to relax and enjoy life while she has slaves in the work place as well as at home.
Let us look at the two diversified world of women!
The world of a working woman!
You feel you are more valuable than a homemaker. ‘I have to work and feel tired and famished by my hectic life style of long working hours and coming home for yet another load of household chores. But a homemaker can do anything she wants at her own sweet time’. You are sure that you are more worthy!
Being a working woman has given you the confidence to face life with assertiveness. You contribute to the betterment of your family and you buy your children the best things available in the market. You help your husband financially and the earnings of both make you afford many good things the world has to offer.
You have a say in family decisions and get equal rights from your husband. But the negative point is that your tiredness makes you lack the energy to interact with your husband or your children. With your nerves crawling alarmingly in fatigue you tend to yell at your spouse and children without reason.
The world of a homemaker!
‘Well, she might work, but I also slave at home. She is paid for her work, but there is no remuneration for me. I have to maintain my house with the income my husband brings and it is nerve wracking to make two ends meet’.
You are right that you do so much of service for the family without expecting anything in return. You are there at home when your children return from school\college and you spend quality time with them. You cater to the needs of your husband better and he loves you for it.
Now who is better?
The homemaker or a working woman!
Let us see the pros and cons of both sides!
What are pros of a working woman?
- You contribute to the financial well being of the family.
- You assist your husband in maintaining a good standard of living.
- You are respected by your in laws and your husband because of your assertiveness.
- Your children need not crave for good things in life as you can afford it.
What are the cons of a working woman?
- You become too independent and do not want to listen to your husband.
- You are heated up by work related tension and find it easy to start arguments with him.
- You do not spend quality time with your family and your children long for your presence.
- There are lots of ego clashes between you and your husband.
What are the pros of a homemaker!
- You take care of your family with more sincerity
- You look after your children in a better way.
- You do not have that much of ego clashes with your husband.
What are the cons of a homemaker?
- Your children yearn for good things which you could have afforded if you were working.
- Your husband struggles to maintain the family within his income as he is the sole contributor.
- You feel you are being taken advantage and your husband treats you with scant respect.
- You lack the confidence of a working woman.
As you can see both have your own advantages and disadvantages. It does not matter whether you work or not. It is how you make your marriage work that matters. You can be working and also be efficient enough to look after your family. You are indeed a treasure if you know how to balance between work and family.
A homemaker is selfless and more inclined to the family needs but the world as a whole has turned mercenary and you cannot afford to sit back and relax. You need financial stability to survive in this harsh world.
A working wife wins over a homemaker in certain respects. Unless there is money you cannot enjoy a good life style and the income of one person is not enough to maintain a family. You become more confident and assertive when you work and if you combine the good qualities of a homemaker you win the debate as the better of the two.
© 2014 mathira