Would You Rather Live In Australia or Alaska?: Thirty Questions To Ask Someone You Want To Know More About
I’m a naturally curious indvidual. This quality manifests itself in various ways in my daily life. At the library I am easily drawn to certain sections where there are at least ten books I would love to read in order to learn more about a certain subject. While hiking I am curious about the names of various plants and wildflowers, as well as about anyone I meet. Finally, my curiosity about people inspires me to ask many questions of those I meet. Such questions are not always welcome, and I am learning how to better gauge whether or not someone is receptive to my inquiries before I ask them a dozen questions. Overall, however, I find that people are willing and occasionally eager to talk about their families, work history, hobbies, and beyond.
Over the years I’ve discovered that asking other people questions does not always come as easily to others as it does to me. As a result, I’ve decided to compose a list of thirty questions which—under appropriate circumstances of course; please observe healthy boundaries in your interactions—can be asked of someone you would like to get to know. These questions can also be used to get to help deepen your current relationships. This list can be applied to new and established coworkers, new and long-standing friends, and a potential or already existing romantic partner.
- Would you rather live in Australia or Alaska?
- Did you have a favorite teacher or coach in high school?
- How did this particular teacher or coach inspire you?
- Do you think it is right for parents to let their children decide if they want to quit playing an instrument after they have only given it a brief try?
- How would you describe your perfect day?
6. What is your favorite time of day and why?
7. Are you a fan of the TV show “The Price Is Right”?
8. Who is the funniest person you know? Tell me a story about this person.
9. If you had to give up either coffee or chocolate for the next month, which one would you give up?
For those of us who like "The Price Is Right"...
10. Have you ever been to South America?
11. Would you ever want to visit South America?
12. If you had to name the two most influential books you have ever read, what would they be?
13. Did you have any nicknames when you were growing up?
14. Would you rather own a horse, a mansion, or an airplane?
15. Do you prefer to cool down or warm up?
16. What was your favorite board game when you were a child?
17. When you were a little kid, what did you tell people you wanted to be when you grew up?
18. Do you have any family member you either look or act a lot like?
19. What’s the weirdest thing you have ever done?
20. Do you like to sing along to the radio if you are alone in your car?
Which of these topics would you prefer a stranger ask you about?
21. Do you prefer to be decisive or to keep your options open as long as possible?
22. Would you ever want to live in a remote location even if this meant you wouldn’t see many other people for weeks at a time?
23. Do you have a favorite flavor of ice cream?
24. What person in your life are you the most grateful for?
25. How has your worldview changed in the last ten years?
26. Do you prefer to listen to classical, rock, or folk music?
27. If you had to describe yourself with a single adjective, what would that be?
28. When do you feel most peaceful and content?
29. Did you have a favorite pet when you were a child?
30. Would you ever want to travel to Iceland?