OTEE profile image 71

Who's the winner?

A husband and wife are going through a rough patch in their marriage. One day while discussing something, they as usual have a disagreement. The wife (it could equally be the husband) loses her cool and shouts at the top of her voice, "I'm not sure where this relationship is going. I get the feeling that you want to end this relationship. Is it so?" The husband replies,"Yes I do not like to continue with you." The wife demands to know why. The husband replies, "I will not tell you in the present mood. I'll tell you in a couple of days." Who of the two is the playing the dominant role?

Mazzy Bolero profile image89

Mazzy Bolero says

• OTEE profile image

OTEE 4 years ago

@Mary Bolero - Your gut reaction is spot on and the explanation you've given is illuminating.

If the wife now decides to end the relationship, wouldn't it just peter out into a power game? Yes, sitting down and discussing the issues is the way to go.

• OTEE profile image

OTEE 4 years ago

@dashingscorpio: As usual you've nailed it. You've captured the nuances of the exchange and also sketched out alternatives. In this instance it does seem that the husband is controlling person.

Thanks for taking time to answer this question.