jlpark profile image 88

Is procreation necessary for a marriage to be valid/legal?

Well, is it? Many of the opponents to same sex marriage state the obvious in saying - 'you cannot procreate' - as the basis of the reason that they feel SS marriage shouldn't be legal. Yet plenty of heterosexual marriages are formed by infertile couples or those who chose not to procreate. So my question is - is procreation necessary to form a marriage? And if so - where in marriage law is this stated? Also - if so - what about those who cannot conceive, choose not to conceive, or use donor due to partial infertility (one side of couple infertile). No name calling

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 4 years ago

Dashing Scorpio - I agree - if it's about baby making then it can't just be about gays or its merely an excuse to be hateful. Some of the logic defies me on all this

Theophanes profile image96

Theophanes says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 4 years ago

Thanks for this (and yay for new tech!) I will check out your hub when not looking at HP from an iPhone!

jdflom profile image78

Jonathan (jdflom) says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 4 years ago

Thanks for your answer.

lupine profile image82

lupine says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 4 years ago

That is what I had an inkling of - it's more a use to invalidate the arguments of SS couples. It is still a choice, not law - thank you for your answer

IDONO profile image83

IDONO says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 4 years ago

That it does!

Old Empresario says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 4 years ago

It is, at times. People seem to think one MUST procreate, and SS can't do that - therefore they can't marry. I just want to know where in law it states that one must procreate to be marry cause I can't find it.