SidKemp profile image 91

What do you mean by "trust"?

Trust means many different things to different people. To one person it means "I believe you won't stab me in the back." For another, it means, "Sure, you can borrow my car. Here are the keys." I'm writing a hub about the many meanings of trust, and I'd like to hear your views. Is trust of a loved on different than trust of a friend, parent, or child? Is trust a thought or a feeling? In your life, what does it mean to trust someone, and how is that different from not trusting?

CuriousLearner profile image60

Best Answer John William (CuriousLearner) says

• SidKemp profile image

Sid Kemp (SidKemp) 4 years ago

So the child trusts the father and the father demonstrates his trustworthiness in catching the child. And the feeling! Thank you.

KatyWhoWaited profile image85

KatyWhoWaited says

• SidKemp profile image

Sid Kemp (SidKemp) 4 years ago

Katy, I'm honored by your honest sharing. I see the trust you are referring to as a spiritual trust, and your experience of the failure of the marriage as a spiritual crisis. I'm glad you survived & grew strong. I use meditation in similar situat

• SidKemp profile image

Sid Kemp (SidKemp) 4 years ago

Thanks, Dashing, for your multifaceted answer!

janshares profile image90

Janis Leslie Evans (janshares) says

• SidKemp profile image

Sid Kemp (SidKemp) 4 years ago

Thank you Janshares. Your thinking matches mine. Trust is given, but only maintained by trustworthiness on the other side. For me, it doesn't only break down. In my view, it can be build up, and also renewed by apology & forgiveness. -see hub on

rebthomas profile image88

Rebecca Shepherd Thomas (rebthomas) says