RealityTalk profile image 59

What is your secret for getting along with your ex-spouse

I have not seen or spoken with my ex-spouse in over 20 years. I know many divorce couples however who come to sporting events, and other events, together - maybe in separate cars - but they attend the events and remain civil to each other. I admire that in them. Is the answer the mutual children? I never had children with my ex-spouse so I have no reason to remain in contact with her. Just curious. And if the reason for civility is the children, is it difficult? And is it especially difficult if the ex-spouse brings a new lover or spouse to these events, which I see as common?

Best Answer Paula (fpherj48) says

• RealityTalk profile image

RealityTalk 4 years ago

Thanks for your comment Paula. You sound like a great mother. I've handled a few divorces in my time & seen some vindictive parents who put children in the middle. I have also seen some great divorced parents; you sound like one of them.

Billie Kelpin profile image89

Billie Kelpin says

• RealityTalk profile image

RealityTalk 4 years ago

Billie,

I feel for you. It is terrible you felt you had to leave your home & friends. I agree, your ex should have been more considerate. Moving was probably the best thing however. I hope you are happier now.

• RealityTalk profile image

RealityTalk 4 years ago

Interestingly, my ex occasionally has made contact w/a relative of mine. My brother's 1st wife remained in contact with our family & still does. It seems more contact w/relatives than ex-spouses however.

• RealityTalk profile image

RealityTalk 4 years ago

I understand completely. We are most likely in the same camp on this one.