Phyllis Doyle profile image 91

What would you do if someone you really liked and felt close to gave public praise to your enemy?

My neighbor asked me that question at our morning coffee chat. It rather surprised me, for I can not imagine my neighbor having any enemies. She explained that this "enemy" was once part of a conspiracy to discredit her (my neighbor) publicly, and that a good friend she has known a long time suddenly comes out with glowing praise for this "enemy". I told my neighbor the best thing to do would be to just let it go. It is possible, I suggested, that her good friend knows nothing about the incident when "enemy" once tried to damage her image. What would you do in this situation?

Best Answer ASKSADIE says

• Phyllis Doyle profile image

Phyllis Doyle Burns (Phyllis Doyle) 3 years ago

Thank you, ASKSADIE. You have some very good points that I will bring up to her. I just was at a bit of a loss as to how to help. All of you have been giving really good advice and I appreciate it.

Cardisa profile image92

Carolee Samuda (Cardisa) says

• Phyllis Doyle profile image

Thank you for participating, Cardisa. You gave a really good answer that I think will help my neighbor. She is a very giving person, does a lot of volunteer work in our community. I was surprised when she told me this, b/c he seem so confident.

Alastar Packer profile image82

Alastar Packer says

• Phyllis Doyle profile image

I so agree with your answer, Alastar. Thank you. For her sake, I hope she can let it go. That is the first thing I thought, that the friend is not even aware of the issue. I will talk with my neighbor about it tomorrow morning at coffee.

Phyllis Doyle profile image91

Phyllis Doyle Burns (Phyllis Doyle) says

• Phyllis Doyle profile image

That is a very good answer, Sheila, and one I will pass on to my neighbor. You are right -- it is just not worth it to hold a grudge like that. I was so surprised to hear my neighbor tell me about this. I hope she can let go of it. Thank you .