Billie Kelpin profile image 92

Is it a myth that, as adults, we need to be loved?

I don't mean for this to be a silly question. Being loved, especially by those whom YOU love, is a wonderful feeling - perhaps THE most wonderful feeling in the world.Songs and novels abound about the pain of broken love I'm just wondering if the perpetuated notion that the NEED to be loved is essential to adult human growth and potential is just that - a perpetuated belief. Is there any one out there who feels they simply don't need to be loved? I'd like to explore this topic in a philosophical way and examine what we believe about being loved. Can we come to some conclusions?

threekeys profile image84

ThreeKeys says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 13 months ago

There was a quote I read years and years ago. "Love is the active concern for another's welfare." Perhaps the need to love is more important than the need to BE loved.

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 13 months ago

Manatita, I have always been fascinated with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. It was just a simple, yet insightful way to look at human nature. It's interesting how deprivation at the lower levels can block self-actualization. You have a lovely view.

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 13 months ago

Tamara, Thank you for your response. You hit 3 important words in relation to the discussion: social species, close emotional ties, and healthy

Matthew Woolsey profile image66

Matthew Woolsey says