- Gender and Relationships
★ Creative Date Ideas | Fun and Different Activities for Couples ★
Unusual & Imaginative Ideas for Date Night
If you are looking for date ideas which are a bit different to the usual bars, clubs, pubs, shopping, cinema etc, then you have come to the right place!
On this page you will find loads of quirky and interesting ideas to impress your date, with inspiration including extreme sports, craft classes, zoos and picnics.
Having a few 'regular' dates first will allow you to get to know your partner and discover what activities they would most enjoy doing in the future. Then you can be more adventurous with your date destinations.
I hope you find this page useful :-)
Choose a Romantic Setting
Best Date Idea Books
Books are a great source of ideas and are handy to browse through when you need some inspiration. Here are some of the best examples:
Date Idea List 1
- Laser Quest or Paintball
- Roller disco/roller skating rink
- Ice skating
- Mystery tour - take your date on a tour of your favourite places or places of interest (like local curiosities, landmarks, parks, fun shops, the best pub etc.)
- Music festival or concert
- Play a 2-player sport like tennis, badminton, squash etc.
- Dance class
- Pub quiz
- Craft class such as pottery, stained glass, screenprinting...
- Cookery lesson
- Take the tourist route - act like a tourist in your own city by going on a tour bus or organised trip
- Casino - but don't spend too much!
- Art class such as watercolor painting or life drawing
- Hiking/walking in a scenic area
- Theme park
- Adventure activities such as suspended obstacle courses you can find in some woodland areas (search for 'Go Ape'), or take a zip-wire thrill ride over a ravine - just search for activities available in your local area
- Beginner lesson in a sport such as snowboarding/skiing/surfing/windsurfing etc that your date (nor you) will have tried before
- Extreme activity such as sky diving (or a sky diving simulator), bungee jumping, off-road driving, rally car driving, go-karting, quad biking, zorbing, luging, parasailing, paragliding, gliding etc
- Theatre (and you can both get dressed up for the occasion)
- James Bond night with cocktails, casino gambling and a little black dress/suit.
Romantic Meal at Sunset
Links to Further Idea Resources - More Date Ideas To Browse
- Fun NYC Date Ideas
Some ideas that are a bit more 'out there' than others, but they look really fun.
- 20 Quirky Dates
Unusual and zany ideas such as dressing as superheroes!
- Nifty Date Ideas
Lots of ideas - the creative ones are especially good.
- Unusual Valentine's Day Ideas
I like the kayak trip idea for the adventurous couple.
Date at a Public Event
Horse Riding Date
Date Idea List 2
- Art gallery
- Organized adventure activity where you need a guide or teacher e.g. potholing, caving, scuba diving, sailing, abseiling
- Golf game (or crazy golf)
- Climbing wall
- Restaurant - but go somewhere you wouldn't normally e.g. try a cuisine you've never tried before, go to a pricier place as a treat, go to a restaurant which perhaps as musical entertainment while you eat
- Camping - a romantic night under the stars
- Picnic with a thoughtful food selection - perhaps make the food yourself. Take a frisbee, ball game, kite or something else for after-lunch fun
- Home or beach BBQ
- Movie night
- Drive-in cinema
- An outing on bicycles
- Road trip - go to a destination a fair distance away
- Go and watch a sports match
- Look for local events such as fairs and carnivals
- Fun fair
- A day at the races
- Go for a late night drive on a warm summer's night - put the windows down and turn the music up, then stop and have snacks and wine and perhaps a dance!
- Go geocaching
- Photographic trip - if you both like photography, take your cameras on a walking tour around places of interest and take fun pictures of each other too
- Pay for a photo shoot
- Ghost tour around a haunted house
- Go to a pantomime at Christmas
- Put together a treasure hunt
Date at a Fun Fair
Date Idea List 3
- Wine tasting
- Go to a lake and rent a rowing boat/pedalo/canoe
- Build something yourselves in the yard such as a teepee or treehouse
- Create a Giant Snack together!
- Food factory tour e.g. Cadbury chocolate factory
- Themed indoor picnic - could have a beach theme with deckchairs and sunglasses, or romantic theme with candles, strawberries and Champagne
- Watch a sunset on a beach, hill, the top of a tall building or from a tent in your yard
- Go to an arcade
- Horse riding
- Hot air balloon ride
- Comedy club or gig
- Cook a slap-up 2 or 3 course meal for your date...this is guaranteed to impress!
- National park/forest walks
- Maize maze
- Join in with a flash mob
- A local castle
- Visit the set of one of your date's favourite movies or TV programmes if they are local enough e.g. King's Cross or castles for Harry Potter, Central Park for Friends etc.
Ice Skating Date
The Beach at Sunset
Date Idea List 4
- Go to a deli or speciality food shop (Selfridges is good if you're in the UK) and buy a selection of the weirdest food that you have never tried before, then take it all to a bench/picnic somewhere and have fun trying everything
- Go to a charity shop/thrift store and choose outfits within a theme to look as outrageous as possible! The theme could be 70's, 80's, prom, goth, tourist, hippy, biker chic etc or you could pick the most clashing outfit you can find - then walk around like that for as long as you dare :-)
- Go to a quiet place and draw each other's portrait
- Play cards and board games
- Go to a fortune teller and both have your fortunes told
- If you can sing or play an instrument, maybe serenade your date at their door or in a quiet place
- For an anniversary or occasion you could set up a scavenger hunt for your date - with clues leading your date to places you have visited in the past plus places that mean something to both of you (first date, first kiss etc). You could leave a little gift or rose in each place and the clues could be written, a sound clip or text sent from your phone, or they could be photographic
- Take a night-time trip in your pyjamas. Take sleeping bags and blankets, park up somewhere with a nice view and snuggle up to watch the sunrise or look at the stars
- On a warm sunny day, rent a cool/sports/vintage car
- Dress up and go to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Create your own photo shoot outdoors. Seek out weird or interesting buildings, sculptures and other locations and take photos of yourselves. Take a tripod if you've got one, or ask a passer-by to take the photos. You could also take props like these or these.
- Similar to the above idea, you could video yourselves hanging out at different locations (perfect for combining with a road trip), pulling silly faces and generally having fun, and then after the date edit the video into short clips from each location/the best bits, and string the clips all together with a soundtrack of your favourite song.
- Video game night
Wind Tunnel Free Flying
Date Idea List 5
- A fake holiday at home: pick somewhere your date has always wanted to go - Paris, New York, Australia etc - and stick to this theme. Be as cheesy as you like with decorations, fancy dress and even an accent! Then cook and serve themed food.
- Go fly a kite
- Hire a tandem bike or a segway each
- Teach your date about a hobby or interest of yours, whether it's fishing, stargazing or guitar playing.
- Create photo evidence suggesting that you went on an adventure that didn't really happen - such as going on the run from the law!
- Go for a swim
- Bake something fun, try out a complicated recipe, or perhaps make pizza together
- Hike to the top of a hill or to a pretty location and present a surprise Champagne picnic to your beloved!
- Go to a planetarium, or go star-gazing