Are Both Sexes Equal in the Eye of Law?

1. mdlawyer profile image38
    mdlawyerposted 7 years ago

Are Both Sexes Equal in the Eye of Law?

Gender Equality: If Both Genders Are Equal, Why the Law Mandates That the Man Should Provide Maintenance to the Wife Without Means, in Case a Divorce?  It Is Never the Other Way Round.

2. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 7 years ago

In the eyes of the law? Yes. In the eyes of the law enforcers? No. I don't know where you are, but I'm in the US, and actually maintenance can go either way -- though having it paid to either gender is now discouraged in the court system, at least in my state; the judges much prefer to settle on a division of the assets from the marriage and then child support to the primary custodial parent in the case of there being kids. As far as the law is concerned, gender isn't supposed to make a difference. That said, the law is enforced by humans, and as such there will be biases. There are judges who will never order a woman to pay her ex-husband maintenance because they believe that "a real man should be working," others may grant custody to a woman because "raising the kids is a woman's job" or to a man because "men are more emotionally stable." Maybe there was a domestic violence dispute, some judges will say that a woman hitting a man is not a crime while a man hitting a woman definitely is. A human's individual experiences will color their perception of the world, so therefore even the most dutiful judge will still have a slight bias whether they know it or not.

working