jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is unrequited love worth it?

1. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 3 years ago

Is unrequited love worth it?

Some people love without being reciprocated.  Is it even worth your time to love like this? Or is it a waste of time?

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

"Never love anyone who treats you like you're ordinary."
    - Oscar Wilde
    The above relationship quote is one of my favorites. Life is too short to be investing time and emotion in those who have no interest in you.
    In order for her or him to be "the one" they'd have to see you as being "the one". At the very least a "soul-mate" is someone who (actually wants to be with) you and vice versa!
    Whenever someone says; "I love you but I'm not (in love) with you" or "I care a lot about you" essentially what they're telling you is "I don't see you as being (the one) for me!" They're still "looking" for him/her.
    Sure you can continue to hang onto the hope that "one day" they'll (wake up) and realize just how wonderful you are but that rarely happens in real life. The goal is to find someone who will love and appreciate you as much as you do them.
    People who ignore this type of reasoning often feel dejected overtime, self-esteem erodes, and may come to resent being used or taken advantage of & blaming others. However they must keep in mind:
    Each of us chooses our own friends, lovers, and spouse. It's up to us to learn to select the right people to engage with.
    Never separate your mind from your heart when making relationship decisions. The purpose of the mind is to protect the heart.
    One man's opinion! smile

3. lafleurdeplume profile image61
    lafleurdeplumeposted 3 years ago

Oh this is such a tough question... I'm still in love with the man who provided the catalyst for the end of my marriage.  He opened my eyes to so many things and I will forever be grateful for the few months he was in my life.  We met online and never met, and when we cut communication for a length of time so I could sort through the emotional mess of my impending divorce, things were never the same again after. 

I will say that you cannot choose who to love, just like you cannot choose who loves you.  He gave me something so beautiful that I'm certain I'll never forget him, even though it's painful to know I'll never really know for sure if my feelings were reciprocated.  (Sources point to no...) Even now, I can't say I waste my time and emotional energy thinking about him...

4. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 3 years ago

It is worth loving someone who  has time for you and who makes you their priority. If you find that you are somewhere down on that list forget about sharing your life with someone who just puts you aside. You deserve better. Not everything in  a relationship is about love.

working