- Gender and Relationships»
- Dating & Online Dating»
- Online Dating
Plenty of Fish?
Looking for Love
In general, college is for learning (and dating). According to a Facebook Data Sciences study, "28% of married graduates attended the same college as their spouse." What about the other 72%? We know there are those strong feminists out there who don't need a man. We also have those men who will just never be marriage material because of their bachelor pads, or the fact they still live with their mom. So let's just say that leaves 62% of the people you go to school with that have not and WILL not find their spouse while in college. WHAT!
All the Single Ladies
There are currently 54,250,000 single people in the United States.Over half have tried online dating. Now, I know at first the thought of it seems sad. I mean, why can't you meet someone in the park or at the coffee shop? Even if you do, the world is just a different place now. A man cannot go up to a woman without her getting offended. A woman can't go up to a man without coming off as "easy." The simple fact is that it is so hard to meet someone who is out looking for the same thing you are. An online dating profile gives you a sort of wall to build up, let those PM's tear it down! Your dating profile allows someone to get to know you. Sure, they may judge you based on your looks and your writing skills, but hey, they would do that at the coffee shop! This way, you don't have to go through all the minutia. You both have an online profile, this let's you see if you have similar interests, such as long walks on the beach and waffles.
Should I Date or Should I Go
There is no harm in creating an online profile. Over 49,250,000 in the world are trying it! The first step is to decide which site you want to visit. We have all seen the E-Harmony commercials with the sweet old man; the Match.com commercials wondering why YOU haven't joined; and the Anastasia Date commercial with the blonde Russian? Those are all good sites if you have enough money every month to put down. But, come on, you are young and need booze. There are several free legitimate dating websites which have been rated. Check one out and see if one catches your eye.
Rome wasn't built in a day, so don't go into this with unrealistic expectations. Odds are, you will not find that suitable someone in your first 24 hours...or 48 hours...heck, it may even take a few months! You are going to get several messages from creepy old men who want to photograph you...or from 16 year old girls who want you to buy them cigarettes. JUST PULL THROUGH. Over half your messages are going to begin with, "Damn honey, ur fine." There's a 50/50 chance these individuals are not looking for anything on a long-term basis. Avoid the hassle and don't even message those creepers back. You also have the people who are insecure. They don't know how to start a conversation, or how to keep one going. It may feel like pulling teeth, but give them a solid day to get used to conversing with you. If communication begins to flow, you may have found a viable date!
Where oh Where?
Where did you meet your significant other?
Honesty: The Best Policy
Honesty is another big key factor in online dating, especially if you're hoping to snag someone for the long-term. Do you really want a relationship based on lies? Chances are when you two get to know each other the lie will surface, causing bigger problems than if you just told the truth. On the same note, you can't always be questioning and doubting the person you are talking to online. According to a 2007 study by author Jeffrey Hall, "Patrons of an online dating site were no more or less likely to lie about themselves than people who find dates the old-fashioned way..." We are all guilty of telling little white lies, just be careful and don't let them turn into huge red lies.
If People Were Honest
Shoot for the Ocean
Shoot for the ocean. Even if you miss, you'll land among the fish. Just give it a shot! You'll never gain anything worth while if you don't take chances. Even if a successful relationship doesn't bloom, at least you'll have some hilarious things to tell the kids you're never going to have.