Quotes for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Abuse
Quotations and Words for Support, Healing, and Strength
Quotes for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Abuse; A good quote can be a source of strength as we heal and grow away from an abusive situation.
I find that just the right quotation can give me encouragement and inspiration. Sometimes such words remind me of a concept I want to keep in my mind.
While I am on my journey to heal from my emotionally, verbally, and psychologically abusive husband, I am sharing what is helping me with others. This is in part for those who suffer with me, and in part for myself. I write the things I need to know, the things I need to remember, and the things I will need to reread.
If you are, or know someone who is, on the road of healing from a difficult situation that has left her or him feeling lost, afraid, timid, and confused, I hope the following quotes and words will bring you hope, courage and peace. You are not alone.
(Photo by the author, ©2011 Janienne Jennrich aka JJNW)
It's hard to look for the light when you're lost in darkness.— Anonymous
Quotes about Rising Above or Facing Fear - Sometimes I am afraid, but I must keep moving forward.
- Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us.
-- Marianne Williamson
- Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers
but to be fearless when facing them.
-- Rabindranath Tagore
- Choose what lies in the shadows to be a matter for discovery and adventure, rather than fear.
-- Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- The wise man in the storm prays God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
It is the storm within which endangers him, not the storm without.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Highly-Rated Recovery Book
You must do the things
you think you cannot do.— Eleanor Roosevelt
Quotes about Courage - We can be brave.
- You have to accept whatever comes
and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage
and with the best that you have to give.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
- God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
-- Reinhold Niebuhr
- Loving is the most unmitigated and courageous act I perform in a day.
-- Mary Anne Radmacher
- Courage is contagious.
When a brave man [or woman!] takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.
-- Billy Graham
- Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
-- Mark Twain
Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."— Mary Anne Radmacher
About Learning Independence - I can do this.
- A woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself.
-- Susan B. Anthony, women's activist
- You can write me down in history with hateful, twisted lies, you can tread me in this very dirt, but still, like dust, I'll rise.
-- Maya Angelou, poet, educator
- You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt, activist You Learn by Living
The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any.— Alice Walker
Words about Lost Love - Because it is a loss, of someone we truly loved.
- I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.
-- Margaret Mitchell
- One does not love a place the less for having suffered in it unless it has all been suffering, nothing but suffering.
He was my North, my South,
my East and West,
My working week
and Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight,
my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever:
I was wrong.— W. H. Auden
Quotes about Moving On in Life - When we're ready.
- In the end these things matter most: How well did you love? How fully did you love? How deeply did you learn to let go?
- There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anais Nin
- Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. -- Satchel Paige
- Don’t waste your time looking back for what you have lost, move on for life wasn’t meant to be traveled backwards - from SayingImages.com
- Don’t afraid to move on and start a new chapter.
We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.— E. M. Forster
Quotations about Living Life Fully - Perhaps there is more.
- You can have it all. You just can't have it all at one time.
- When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
― Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)
- I could not, at any age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. Curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life. ― Eleanor Roosevelt
- Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ― George Bernard Shaw
We will often find compensation
if we think more of
what life has given us
and less about
what life has taken away.— William Barclay
You are Special - Yes, you.
- No matter what age you are, or what your circumstances might be, you are special, and you still have something unique to offer. Your life, because of who you are, has meaning.
-- Barbara de Angelis
- One's life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, friendship, indignation and compassion.
-- Simone de Beauvoir
- As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around.
-- Oprah Winfrey
Today you are You,
that is truer than true.
There is no one alive
who is Youer than You.— Dr. Seuss
Have you found these quotes helpful?
"If the numbers we see
in domestic violence were applied to terrorism or gang violence,
the entire country would be up in arms, and it would be the lead story on the news every night."— Rep. Mark Green
Please see the other pages in my series on my escape and healing from spousal abuse by searching JJNW on HubPages.com Thank you.